Newsletter date: 29 August 2015; ; last updated 8:30pm AEST
* Audio: SoundCloud - triple j Hack: Redfern tent embassy protesters claim victory [featuring Lorna Munro. Her Mum, Jenny Munro, started the tent embassy]
* News Analysis: Sarah McVeigh, triple j Hack: The Block: Tent embassy protesters claim win at The Block
* facebook video: Jenny Munro on ABC24 [interview with Jenny Munro, founder of Redfern Aboriginal Tent Embassy]
* News Analysis: Rachel Evans, Sydney, Green Left Weekly: Redfern Tent Embassy succeeds in fight for Aboriginal housing
* Bio: GLW author Rachel Evans - Green Left Weekly
* facebook updates: Redfern Aboriginal Tent Embassy, facebook
WGAR News postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
SoundCloud - triple j Hack: Redfern tent embassy protesters claim victory
28 Aug 15: ""The victory is that Aboriginal people and the need for housing are still at the top of the agenda," said Lorna Munro. "The whole point was to maintain that community and that connection to people and to the area and that’s never going to stop regardless of if there’s tents here or not.""
- News Analysis
triple j - Hack - shoving the 'j' into journalism: The Block: Tent embassy protesters claim win at The Block
27 Aug 15: ""This is a win for everyone": This morning the federal government announced a $5 million grant to the Aboriginal Housing Company on the condition they build the affordable housing at the same time as the commercial development. Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion says the funds will will help the Aboriginal Housing Company secure the rest of the funding they need to build the housing. "This has been a very vexed issue - people have been divided in the area for a long time," he said. "Congratulations to the tent embassy and to Jenny Munro for what I consider significant leadership." ... " reporter: Sarah McVeigh
- facebook video
Jenny Munro on ABC24 - Lisa Delpeoples, facebook
28 August 2015
- News Analysis
Green Left Weekly: Redfern Tent Embassy succeeds in fight for Aboriginal housing
28 Aug 15: " ... Greens MLA David Shoebridge said: "There is no doubt this was a significant victory bought about by some amazingly resilient Aboriginal elders who have stood up for one basic principle - build Aboriginal housing first. "Today, with the intervention of the Commonwealth government, they have had that victory and we will see Aboriginal housing built first. The government has put $5 million on the table and Aunty Jenny and the Aboriginal community will have a rare victory for affordable social housing right in the centre of the city." ... " By Rachel Evans, Sydney
GLW author Rachel Evans - Green Left Weekly
- facebook updates
Redfern Aboriginal Tent Embassy, facebook
"Aboriginal Tent Embassy re established in Redfern on what is known as 'Sorry Day' 26th of May 2014. The Blacks in Sydney are silent no more... "
Photo essay: John Donegan, ABC News: A day in the life of the Aboriginal Tent Embassy in Redfern
Photos: Jaroslaw L Gasiorek: Build Aboriginal Housing on The Block, 11.08.15 (410 images)
Photo Archive: Jaroslaw L Gasiorek - Street Photography: http://www.yarek.com.au/
Past facebook event: Friday August the 14th 2015: Support Redfern Aboriginal Tent Embassy's right to occupy The Block: rally outside court to defend 'trespass' charges
WGAR News: At Redfern's the Block, spirits lifted after Tent Embassy win: Danny Teece-Johnson, NITV News: Video Live from The Block
WGAR News: Redfern Tent Embassy claims victory with Aboriginal housing deal: Lucy McNally and staff, ABC News
WGAR News: Redfern [Aboriginal] Tent Embassy Calls for Solidarity on 'Judgment Day' - Monday, 24 August 2015 - Supreme Court of NSW - facebook event
WGAR News: Redfern Aboriginal Tent Embassy protests at Parliament: Peter Boyle, Green Left Weekly
WGAR News: Federal Government Steps In To Mediate Over Fight For Redfern's The Block: Allan Clarke, BuzzFeed News Reporter, Australia
WGAR News: Attorney-General alerted as Redfern [Aboriginal] tent embassy feud intensifies: Daisy Dumas, Sydney Morning Herald
Analysis / Opinion: Rachel Evans & Jemma Nott, Green Left: Redfern tent embassy is 'not laying down'
Explainer: Andrea Booth, NITV News: Redfern Aboriginal Tent Embassy and Aboriginal Housing Company dispute
SBS The Block: Stories from a Meeting Place
WGAR Background to the Aboriginal Sovereignty Movement
(last updated: 28 August 2015)
WGAR Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies
(last updated: 29 May 2014)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
'WGAR News' postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire