Newsletter date: 2 December 2014
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
* Communique from The Freedom Summit: Old Bungalow, Mparntwe (Alice Springs) 27-28 November 2014
* Photo: Freedom Summit delegates 2014 image
* Video: CAAMA: Aboriginal Australia Declared Sovereign!
* Video: CAAMA: Freedom Summit forms new national body, declares sovereignty
* Media Release: Ghillar Michael Anderson, Sovereign Union: Leadership is the great challenge for Freedom Summit delegates - as 'The Gap' widens
* Video: Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: Monica Morgan, Yorta Yorta speaking at Freedom Summit, Mpartwe, Alice Springs
* Video: Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: Alison Anderson at Freedom Summit
* Audio: Gerry Georgatos, NIRS: Interim Indigenous delegation selected at Freedom Summit
* Audio: Warren Barnsley, NIRS: Representatives handpicked by Government not welcome: Summit delegates
* Audio: Warren Barnsley, NIRS: Freedom Summit hears Indigenous Advisory Council frustration
* Audio Interview: Cassandra Tim, National Indigenous Radio's 'Weekly News-in-Review' [Featuring Michael Mansell]
* News: Amos Aikman, The Australian: Aboriginal leaders gather in Alice Springs for 'freedom summit'
* Background: WGAR News: First Peoples' freedom summit: Late Night Live, ABC RN [Interviews with Rosalie Kunoth-Monks, Michael Mansell & Tauto Sansbury]
* Background: WGAR News: National 'Summit for Freedom' Alice Springs [Thu & Fri 27-28 November 2014]: Facebook
* Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement
* Background to Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia
Communique from The Freedom Summit
27-28 Nov 14: "We, the Original Sovereign Peoples and Heads of Nations being assembled at the Old Bungalow, Mparntwe (Alice Springs) declare the Independence of our Nations and Peoples. We also declare that we have and continue to be independent Sovereign Nations under the designation of the United Tribes of our Lands.
All sovereign power and authority within the Territories of the United Tribes of our Lands are hereby declared to reside entirely and exclusively in the hereditary Elders and in the Heads of the Tribes. In our collective capacities we declare that we will not permit any legislative authority separate from ourselves to exist on our Lands, nor any function of the colonial governments to be exercised within the said Territories, unless authorised by the appropriate people or persons appointed by us. Our authority originates from the ancient Law/Lore of the Land, also referred to as the continental common law of Australia. ... "
Read more of the Freedom Summit Communique:
Freedom Summit delegates 2014 image
The Stringer Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=555183914626154
The Stringer Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheStringerNews
Sovereign Union: http://sovereignunion.mobi/pdf/2014/freedom-summit-delegates-image.pdf
30 Nov 14: "The Freedom Summit appoints a Delegation of 21 to represent the rights of the many, to reach out to peoples all around the continent, for peoples around this continent to gather around and hence to converge on Canberra, January 26. Article on the ways forward in The Stringer later today and in The National Indigenous Times this Wednesday. (Below, The Freedom Summit's Delegation of 21, Mparntwe, Old Bungalow - Photo, Gerry Georgatos)"
CAAMA - Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association: Aboriginal Australia Declared Sovereign!
28 Nov 14: "A new grassroots national committee formed at the Freedom Summit in Alice Springs has delivered their resolution, declaring their sovereignty! This resolution will be sent to all communities for their support, and then the committee will march in Canberra on Australia Day. ... "
CAAMA - Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association: Freedom Summit forms new national body, declares sovereignty
29 Nov 14: "A new grassroots national committee has been formed on the final day of the Freedom Summit in Alice Springs, and it has declared Aboriginal Australia a sovereign nation."
[scroll down page] http://caama.com.au/
"The Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association (CAAMA) began operations in 1980 and was the first Aboriginal group to be allocated a broadcasting license. The Aboriginal people of Central Australia own CAAMA through an association regulated under the Incorporations Act , and its objectives focus on the social, cultural and economic advancement of Aboriginal peoples. ... CAAMA produces media products that engenders pride in Aboriginal culture, while informing and educating the wider community of the richness and diversity of the Aboriginal peoples of Australia."
- Media Release
Sovereign Union: Leadership is the great challenge for Freedom Summit delegates - as 'The Gap' widens
30 Nov 14: "Ghillar Michael Anderson, Convenor of the Sovereign Union of First Nations and Peoples in Australia, said from Broken Hill today:
“Having concluded my analysis the Freedom Summit held in Alice Springs on 27 & 28 November, it is clear that the uniform position of the great majority at the Freedom Summit was their determined resolve to confirm that no Aboriginal/Original Nation or People in this Country has voluntarily ceded its sovereignty to the invader British/Australian society, nor has been conquered in any declared war.
“It is also evident that this national task force of Original Nation delegates is to articulate in the strongest terms to the colonial governments that 'enough is enough' ... "My other observation of the Freedom Summit was the polarity between our people, something that has never been so apparent before and that was the differences between political agendas and purpose. ... "It was interesting to observe the coming together of these groups with an understanding that each can support the other."" Ghillar Michael Anderson, Convenor and Joint Spokesperson of the Sovereign Union of First Nations and Peoples in Australia
Sovereign Union homepage:
About 'Sovereign Union'
"This is the official website of the Sovereign Union of First Nations and Peoples in Australia. The Sovereign Union was first formed at a meeting on 12-14 June 1999 on Mt Kaputar, near Narrabri, NSW. A delegation was sent to Geneva to the UN Working Group of the Commission on Human Rights to take our sovereign voices to the international community. The Sovereign Union was further formalised with a Foundation Meeting of the 'Sovereign Union - interim Unity Government' at the Kuradji Tent Embassy, near Wollongong, New South Wales on May 25 2012. ... "
Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: MONICA MORGAN, Yorta Yorta speaking at Freedom Summit, Mpartwe, Alice Springs
1 Dec 14: "MONICA MORGAN, Yorta Yorta speaking at Freedom Summit, Mpartwe, Alice Springs"
Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: ALISON ANDERSON at Freedom Summit
1 Dec 14: "ALISON ANDERSON speaking at the Freedom Summit held at the Old Bungalow, Mparntwe (Alice Springs)."
Eleanor Gilbert on Vimeo
NIRS: Interim Indigenous delegation selected at Freedom Summit
1 Dec 14: " ... The Summit also called for a mobilisation of first people and for a sit-in at Parliament House in Canberra commencing on January 26. Wiradjuri elder Les Coe was appointed to the delegation and he says the Summit was long overdue." Gerry Georgatos, Correspondent
NIRS: Representatives handpicked by Government not welcome: Summit delegates
1 Dec 14: " ... The Freedom Summit was held in Alice Springs, bringing together around 100 delegates from tribal nations. Euahlayi representative Ghillar Michael Anderson says the nations were in agreement that programs involving representatives handpicked by government are not welcome." Warren Barnsley
NIRS: Freedom Summit hears Indigenous Advisory Council frustration
28 Nov 14: "A summit in Alice Springs has heard frustrations expressed about the lack of appropriate representation of Indigenous groups at the national policy level. ... " Warren Barnsley
- Audio Interview
National Indigenous Radio's 'Weekly News-in-Review' November 27, 2014
27 Nov 14: "This week: Pakana lawyer Michael Mansell on the Freedom Summit"
"This week's episode is presented by Cassandra Tim. ...
Producers: Merinda Ninyette, Cassandra Tim and Warren Barnsley"
Ed. Note: The interview with Michael Mansell follows after interviews with Matthew Cooke, Gordon Marshall and Alison Anderson; and precedes an interview with Bruce Pascoe.
NIRS Homepage: http://www.nirs.org.au/
The Australian: Aboriginal leaders gather in Alice Springs for 'freedom summit'
28 Nov 14: "ABORIGINAL leaders from around Australia spoke yesterday of smothered voices, silent cries and policies imposed by outsiders that they claimed were not wanted and did not work. Those attending the first day of a two-day "freedom summit" in Alice Springs called for a new national body controlled by Aborigines, ... " Amos Aikman
WGAR News: First Peoples' freedom summit: Late Night Live, ABC RN [Interviews with Rosalie Kunoth-Monks, Michael Mansell & Tauto Sansbury]
28 Nov 14: "Contents:
* Audio Interview: Phillip Adams & Kris Short, Late Night Live, ABC RN: First Peoples' freedom summit [Featuring Rosalie Kunoth-Monks OAM, Michael Mansell & Tauto Sansbury]
* Audio Interview: Shannon Kilgariff, The Wire: Indigenous people fight for funding at Freedom Summit [Featuring Tauto Sansbury & Michael Mansell]
* Audio Interview: Justin Fenwick, The Wire: Freedom Summit aims to change the national conversation [Featuring Tauto Sansbury, Ray Martin, Jenny Munro & Michael Mansell]
* News: Amy McQuire, New Matilda: 'He Was Supposed To Be The PM For Indigenous Affairs'
* Photos: CAAMA: Aboriginal leaders from across the country gather in Alice Springs for the first ever Freedom Summit
* Video: CAAMA: Day 1 of the Summit For Freedom [Featuring Alison Anderson, Rosalie Kunoth-Monks, Tauto Sansbury & Michael Mansell]
* Video: CAAMA: Young Star Rises at Freedom Summit [Featuring Roxley Foley, son of Dr Gary Foley]
* Audio: CAAMA: Our voices havn’t been heard for a very long time ... Jenny Munro [Featuring Jenny Munro & Jeff McMullen]
* News: Anthony Stewart & Steven Schubert, ABC News: Indigenous activists demand better representation at Alice Springs conference
* News: Gail Liston, ABC News: 'Freedom Summit' urges youth to take up Indigenous rights fight
* News: Jane Ryan, ABC News: Fight for Aboriginal land rights expected to intensify at Alice Springs summit
* News: Helen Davidson, The Guardian: Indigenous leaders to meet at First Nations Summit for Freedom
* News: Mathaba: Freedom Summit Takes Place in Heart of Australia ... "
WGAR News: National 'Summit for Freedom' Alice Springs [Thu & Fri 27-28 November 2014]: Facebook
22 Nov 14: "Contents:
* Audio: CAAMA: Tauto Sansbury ... the Freedom Summit is a call for Unity!
* Upcoming Event: Facebook: National 'Summit for Freedom' Alice Springs [27-28 Nov 14]
* Event Analysis: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: What the domestic media missed - The Freedom Summit
* Event Analysis: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: The Freedom Summit - "it is our obligation," Dr Woolombi Waters
* News: NIT: Summit for Freedom to be held at Alice Springs [27-28 Nov 14]
* Analysis / Opinion: Ray Jackson, Workers Bush Telegraph: Summit For Freedom
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, Green Left: Aboriginal leaders meet for freedom summit
* Audio: Lisa Burns interviews Tauto Sansbury, Radio Adelaide: First Nations peoples to gather for National Freedom Summit ... "
Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement
(Last updated: 29 May 2014)
Background to Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia
(Last updated: 13 May 2014)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 2-3 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.