Newsletter date: 6 February 2015
* Appeal: National Freedom Movement: Save the National Indigenous Times
* Analysis / Opinion: Dr Woolombi Waters, Indymedia Australia: Litigation now the new censorship in reporting the news in the 21st century - National Indigenous Times
* WGAR News: Gerry Georgatos on the future of the National Indigenous Times: NITV News
* Flyer: First Nations Freedom Movement - Parliament House Sit-In - From 9th of February 2015 - Every day 10am till 4pm - Until Our Voice Is Heard
* Event: Indymedia Australia: Freedom Movement Sit-In at Parliament House, Canberra, on 9 February 2015
* News: National Indigenous Times: First Peoples to confront politicians on February 9 in Canberra
* Audio: Gerry Georgatos and Warren Barnsley, NIRS: Protesters set to descend on Canberra [Featuring Freedom Movement supporter Josh Collard]
* Homepage of the 'National Freedom Movement': http://freedommovement2014.wix.com/freedommovement
* WGAR Background to the National Freedom Movement
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
National Freedom Movement: Save the National Indigenous Times
"Let us put this newspaper in the hands of progressive and grassroots First Peoples - 100 %. For 14 years, the National Indigenous Times has stood alongside our peoples' best interests and has advocated for us. It has never received Government funding and has remained truly independent. It can be owned by our peoples for our peoples. It should not finish up in the hands of those who seek to assimilate our peoples, who seek to propagandize. It is our strongest and most fearless voice. It should not be punished for this. As we build a group of First Peoples investors in a bid to save the National Indigenous Times so too please consider donating what you can to help the cause. The National Indigenous Times and our Aboriginal rights struggle are one and the same. People power is needed."
- Analysis / Opinion
Indymedia Australia: Litigation now the new censorship in reporting the news in the 21st century - National Indigenous Times
Sovereign Union: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/litigation-now-new-censorship...
Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/2015/01/28/litigation-now-the-new-censorship-in...
28 Jan 15: "I wish the first article of the year brought happier news but as I am sure most readers will have heard we are now publishing issue by issue without knowing who will own the National Indigenous Times for another few weeks. The lesson learnt is that modern news is no longer about truth but instead its about retaining social capital to the elite in ensuring the rhetoric of neoliberalism right wing conservative politics is retained at all cost. ... " By National Indigenous Times columnist, Dr Woolombi Waters
WGAR News: Gerry Georgatos on the future of the National Indigenous Times: NITV News
25 Jan 15: "Contents:
* Homepage of The National Indigenous Times (NIT) Newspaper: http://www.nit.com.au/
* Video: NITV News: Gerry Georgatos on the future of the National Indigenous Times
* Analysis / Opinion: Myriam Robin, Crikey: National Indigenous Times may yet get a lifeline
* News: Emilia Terzon, ABC News: Administrators put award-winning National Indigenous Times newspaper up for sale
* Analysis / Opinion: Amanda Meade, The Guardian: National Indigenous Times to keep publishing while in administration
* Analysis / Opinion: Myriam Robin, Crikey: National Indigenous Times placed into administration after unpaid legal bill"
First Nations Freedom Movement - Parliament House Sit-In - From 9th of February 2015 - Every day 10am till 4pm - Until Our Voice Is Heard
Sovereign Union: http://sovereignunion.mobi/pdf/2015/freedom-sitin-feb15.pdf
Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/files/freedom-sitin-feb15.pdf
"Abbott does not represent us and does not represent you!
Stand for your rights, Take back the power, We will show you the way!"
Indymedia Australia: Freedom Movement Sit-In at Parliament House, Canberra, on 9 February 2015
National Indigenous Times: First Peoples to confront politicians on February 9 in Canberra
4 Feb 15: "Respected Elders and leaders of some of the most active First Peoples rights movements have delivered a call for action to supporters to join with them in a sit-in protest at Parliament House in Canberra next Monday. Organisers are hoping hundreds if not thousands will heed the call and join with them to confront the politicians of the national parliament to highlight the growing anger among... "
NIRS: Protesters set to descend on Canberra
4 Feb 15: "Indigenous rights advocates are set to descend on the nation's capital in coming days, with two national protests called for next week. Next Monday, members of the Freedom Movement have vowed to confront Federal politicians at Parliament House to coincide with the beginning of the parliamentary year. Meanwhile, the Grandmothers Against Removal will call for an end to the high rates of Indigenous kids in out-of-home care during the anniversary of the apology to the Stolen Generations on February 13." Gerry Georgatos and Warren Barnsley
'National Freedom Movement'
WGAR Background to the National Freedom Movement
(last updated: 4 February 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA) and South Australia (SA);
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 3-4 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Aboriginal Sovereign Manifesto of Demands
WGAR News: Aboriginal Sovereign Manifesto of Demands - National Aboriginal Freedom Movement
* Manifesto: Aboriginal Sovereign Manifesto of Demands - National Aboriginal Freedom Movement Aboriginal Embassy, Canberra, Australia
* Audio: Adam Evans, NIRS: Protesters come face-to-face with politicians during 'sit-in' [Featuring Tauto Sansbury and Gerry Georgatos]
* Audio Interview: Living Black Radio: 090215 ACT Freedom Sit In [Featuring Tauto Sansbury]
* Analysis / Opinion: Amy McQuire, New Matilda: They Came For The Abbott Spill, And Missed The Only Real Story In Town
* Audio: Ninah Kopel, The Wire: Protesting worlds worst child removal rate [Featuring Sue-Ellen Tighe, Michael Anderson and Tauto Sansbury]
* Video: NITV News - 9 February 2015: "GMAR groups from across the country rallied with Freedom Movement campaigners on the grounds of Parliament house to deliver a set of demands ... "
* News & Photos: CAAMA Radio at First Nations Freedom Movement Canberra 2015
* News & Photos: 9 News: Protesters attempt to derail TODAY Show's Canberra broadcast to bring attention to indigenous deaths in custody
* Photos from the Sit-In: Sovereign Union & Stop Stolen Generations Facebook
* Current Event: Freedom Movement Sit-In at Parliament House, Canberra, from 9 February 2015
* WGAR Background to the National Freedom Movement
Aboriginal Protestors Deliver List of Demands To Parliament
WGAR News: Aboriginal Protestors Deliver List of Demands To Parliament: CAAMA Video
* Video: CAAMA: Aboriginal Protestors Deliver List of Demands To Parliament
[Featuring Clive Palmer, Tauto Sansbury, Michael Anderson, GMAR, Jenni Munro, Les Coe & Roxley Foley]
* Video: Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: Freedom Movement delegates report back on the meeting with Nigel Scullion
* Video: Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: Freedom Movement Sit-In protesters present Manifesto to Bill Shorten
* Video: Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: Clive Palmer responds to National Freedom Movement presence
* News & Photos: CAAMA: Nigel Scullion Visits Aboriginal Tent Embassy in Canberra
* News: CAAMA News: "Aboriginal Rights advocates say they could soon send a delegation to England to present the Queen with a list of issues ... " [Featuring Tauto Sansbury]
* Audio: Gerry Georgatos, NIRS: Freedom Movement meets with Indigenous affairs minister [Featuring Tauto Sansbury & Nigel Scullion]
* Audio Interview: Let's Talk's Tiga Bayles interviews Michael Anderson on the Sit-In
* Audio Interview: CAAMA Radio: Young Voices... [Featuring Timothy Wilkey & Bud Spearim]
* Video: Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: Vanessa Culbong, Perth, speaks out at the Sit-In
* Video: Eleanor Gilbert, Vimeo: Sisters speak out at the Sit-In: Deaths in Custody
* Audio Interview: The Stringer Audio/Radio News: Gerry Georgatos interviews Bill Shorten on Aboriginal issues
* Audio Interview: The Stringer Audio/Radio News: Gerry Georgatos interviews Clive Palmer on Aboriginal issues
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Leadership squabbling, not Aboriginal rights struggle, consumed by mainstream media
* News: National Indigenous Times: Scullion commits to consult with Freedom Movement and grandmothers
* Media Roundup: Diet Simon, Linksunten Indymedia: Aboriginal protesters come face-to-face with politicians during Canberra 'sit-in'
* Photos: Sovereign Union: Canberra Sit-in Gallery - 9 February 2015
* Event: Freedom Movement Sit-In at Parliament House, Canberra, on 9 February 2015
* WGAR Background to the National Freedom Movement