Newsletter date: 27 August 2015
* Change.org Petition: Petitioning Federal Government: Reject the Uluru Bark Petition: Celeste Liddle, Melbourne, Vic
* Blog: Celeste Liddle, Rantings of an Aboriginal Feminist: The Uluru Bark Petition - They don't speak for me
* Audio Interview: Sarah Martin, The Wire: Not in our name: Aboriginal people speak out against Uluru Bark Petition [featuring Celeste Liddle]
* Homepage of Rantings of an Aboriginal Feminist: http://blackfeministranter.blogspot.com.au/
* Audio Interview: Minelle Creed, SBS Living Black Radio: Aboriginal Lawyer disturbed by new Bark Petition [featuring Michael Mansell, Tasmanian Aboriginal Lawyer, Activist, & Secretary of Aboriginal Provisional Government]
* Audio Interview: Michelle Lovegrove, SBS Living Black Radio: LBGTIQ Community: Bark Petition does not represent us! [featuring Dameyon Bonson, founder of Black Rainbow]
* Audio Interviews: News & features: SBS Living Black Radio: http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/aboriginal/news-features
* News Analysis: Cec Busby, Gay News Network (GNN): Aboriginal community members say Uluru Bark Petition doesn't represent their views on gay marriage
WGAR News postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
Petitioning Federal Government
Reject the Uluru Bark Petition
Celeste Liddle Melbourne, VIC
"We, the undersigned, as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people of this country reject the claims made within the Uluru Bark Petition, which was delivered to the Federal Government in August 2015 by the Spirit and the Bride Conference. We call on the government to break ties with this group and to understand that we do not believe their views to be those held by the broader Indigenous community. ... "
Rantings of an Aboriginal Feminist: The Uluru Bark Petition - They don't speak for me
Rantings of an Aboriginal Feminist: http://blackfeministranter.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/the-uluru-bark-petiti...
Green Left Weekly: https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/59830
14 Aug 15: " ... The above photo is what has been called the "Uluru Bark Petition" and it has been presented to government much to the gleeful hand-rubbing of the Liberal Party and particularly Senator Abetz. He has praised the group - which apparently contains about 30 people - for rallying to protect "traditional marriage" ... There are several reasons I am incensed to see this petition, and I will go into them shortly. First and most importantly though, it's because the Arrernte are named as being one of the groups of which support has been derived for this petition. I am Arrernte and I say plainly and clearly that THESE PEOPLE DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME. ... " Celeste Liddle
- Audio Interview
The Wire: Not in our name: Aboriginal people speak out against Uluru Bark Petition
Produced by Sarah Martin; featuring Celeste Liddle
20 Aug 15: "A delegation of Indigenous people presented the Uluru Bark Petition to parliamentarians this week. It made a statement against same-sex marriage and claimed support of the Aboriginal People of Australia, despite containing only about 30 signatures. There has been a backlash to the petition, with many Indigenous people saying it does not represent their views, and some of the Aboriginal groups listed as signatory saying they were unaware the petition existed. Featured in story: Celeste Liddle"
Rantings of an Aboriginal Feminist
"About Me: Celeste Liddle: Arrernte, feminist, hard left, trade unionist, with a taste for protopunk. ... "
- Audio Interview
SBS Living Black Radio: Aboriginal Lawyer disturbed by new Bark Petition
[featuring Michael Mansell, Tasmanian Aboriginal Lawyer, Activist, & Secretary of Aboriginal Provisional Government]
19 Aug 15: "Tasmanian Aboriginal Lawyer, Activist, and Secretary of the Aboriginal Provisional Government, Michael Mansell says the petition does not represent the Aboriginal peoples of Tasmania. ... Mr Mansell says all people have a right to choose who they wish to marry, and offers his support for same sex marriage in all cultural groups. Mr Mansell says he's more disturbed by the fact that this Bark Petition belittles the original Yirrkala Bark Petitions of 1963, that called for Treaty, Sovereignty and the coming together of all Nations." By Minelle Creed
- Audio Interview
SBS Living Black Radio: LBGTIQ Community: Bark Petition does not represent us!
[featuring Dameyon Bonson, founder of Black Rainbow]
19 Aug 15: "Aboriginal homosexual and trans people say that a petition against same sex marriage delivered to Parliament last week, does not represent all First Nations peoples, as claimed. ... A group of mainly elders presented what's called the Uluru Bark Petition to Senator Eric Abetz, the leader of the government in the Senate. ... The petition says it speaks for the Aboriginal people of Australia, and calls on the government to resist attempts to undermine the sanctity of marriage. Dameyon Bonson is the founder of Black Rainbow, an organisation that specialises in suicide prevention within Aboriginal gay and trans communities. He says the claim of representation and the wording used, is dangerous." By Michelle Lovegrove
- Audio Interviews
News & features: SBS Living Black Radio
- News Analysis
Gay News Network (GNN): Aboriginal community members say Uluru Bark Petition doesn't represent their views on gay marriage
18 Aug 15: "The credentials of the Uluru Bark petition, a petition purporting to be signed on behalf of Aboriginal Australia and presented to Senator Eric Abetz in support of traditional marriage is being questioned. ... since the petition has come to light several members from the aforementioned communit have come forward to say they have never heard of the petition. Community members in Mutitjulu, the main Aboriginal settlement in the shadow of Uluru, said they had never heard of the petition. Dorothea Randall, a director of the Mutitjulu Community Aboriginal Corporation and long-time resident, told The Australian that locals were "not even worrying about it (gay marriage)". ... " Written By Cec Busby, the news editor of SX and GayNewsNetwork.com.au
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
'WGAR News' postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire