Newsletter date: 7 November 2013
* mp3bod: Jeff McMullen on the Northern Territory Intervention
* Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention
* SBS Living Black Radio's Michelle Lovegrove interviews Michael Mansell: No to Australia Day Award Nomination
* Sovereign Union: "Return our peoples' remains to Country" - Additional Agenda Items for Gathering of Nations
* Next Sovereign Union National Meeting: 23 - 24 November 2013 Canberra: House of Representatives, Old Parliament House & Aboriginal Embassy
* Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies
* Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane: Smashing The Myths: "Aboriginal People Lived in Isolated Groups and Wandered Aimlessly"
[Featuring interviews with Uncle Marshall Bell and Aunty Mary Graham]
* Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane: Smashing The Myths: "You're not Aboriginal, You've Got Fair Skin"
[Featuring interviews with Geoff Clarke, Kevin Buzzacott, Ross Watson, Jack Beetson and Dr Dylan Coleman]
* Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane: Smashing The Myths: "Aboriginal People Should Forget The Past and Move On"
[Featuring interviews with Gracelyn Smallwood, Robbie Thorpe, Sam Watson and Jack Beetson]
* news.com.au: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander War Memorial to be unveiled at Torrens Parade Ground
* Warrnambool Standard: Ceremony honours aboriginal servicemen
* MP3BOD: JEFF MCMULLEN ON THE NORTHERN TERRITORY INTERVENTION
mp3bod: Jeff McMullen on the Northern Territory Intervention Part 3 Mp3 Download
* BACKGROUND TO THE NORTHERN TERRITORY (NT) INTERVENTION:
Last updated: 31 October 2013
* SBS LIVING BLACK RADIO'S MICHELLE LOVEGROVE INTERVIEWS MICHAEL MANSELL: NO TO AUSTRALIA DAY AWARD NOMINATION
- Audio Interview
SBS Living Black Radio: No to Australia Day Award Nomination
By Michelle Lovegrove
1 Nov 13: "Micheal Mansell rejects his nomination for an Australian Day Award. ... Tasmanian lawyer Michael Mansell has caused a flurry around the country after announcing his decision to reject a nomination for an Australia Day Award. Mr Mansell's been nominated Tasmania's Senior Australian of the Year, for his work in advancing, protecting, growing and improving the lives of Palawa people in Tasmania. But Michael Mansell says he morally can't participate in an event that celebrates the invasion of the English and the demise of his people."
WGAR News: Why I turned down an Australia Day award: Michael Mansell, The Guardian (6 Nov 13)
* SOVEREIGN UNION: "RETURN OUR PEOPLES' REMAINS TO COUNTRY" - ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS FOR GATHERING OF NATIONS
- NITV Video and Sovereign Union Media Release
Sovereign Union: "Return our peoples' remains to Country" - Additional Agenda Items for Gathering of Nations
5 Nov 13: "Additional Agenda Items for Gathering of Nations: Canberra 23 - 24 November 2013
Michael Anderson, Convenor of the Sovereign Union, said today from Goodooga:
A key agenda item has been nominated by people of the Banjalang, far north coast of NSW. It is a proposal to return our peoples' bodies back to their own Country. It was submitted that there are too many of our people buried off Country and that it is time for us to bring them home and have their remains laid to rest in their Homeland once and for all. It is encouraging to know that this request came from of a young lady acting on behalf of her uncle, who suggested that it is now time for such an action to take place.
This proposal has found a great deal of support, as it is truly a responsibility that we must now accept. It is no wonder that our peoples' memories cry out for help. We need not look at this as something that belongs to later. This something we can and must do now. We have people crying for help and it is our duty to make things happen. That will bring about a settlement of unfinished business. ... "
* NEXT SOVEREIGN UNION NATIONAL MEETING: 23 - 24 NOVEMBER 2013 CANBERRA: HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, OLD PARLIAMENT HOUSE & ABORIGINAL EMBASSY
- Upcoming Event
Event: 23 - 24 November 2013: Canberra, ACT
Next Sovereign Union National Meeting
"Saturday 23 November 2013
9 - 9.45am: Registration of delegates, observers and media at Aboriginal Embassy, includes morning tea
10 am: Start in House of Representatives, Old Parliament House, Canberra
(NB: no-one can be admitted without registration)"
"Sunday 24 November 2013
at Aboriginal Embassy, Canberra
9am: Work-shopping issues identified from the previous day"
"People need to be reminded that the delegations can only consist of
an Elder, a youth and delegation leader, that is three from each Nation."
"Day 1 - Old Parliament House - Day 2 - Aboriginal Tent Embassy"
Saturday 23 November 2013 ...
A. Welcome and Introductions
All delegate leaders to present a 2 minute introduction:
a. naming your Nation
b. why you are here?
c. what are your expectations?
B. Sovereignty and Self-Determination in International Law ...
C. Aboriginal Sovereignty v Native Title ...
D. Declaring Sovereign Independence ...
E. Unification of Sovereign First Nations within Australia ...
F. Developing International Relations ... "
Event details and Agenda: http://www.sovereignunion.mobi/content/2013-gathering-nations-canberra-a...
Event details and Agenda: http://www.sovereignunion.mobi/node/771
Event details and Agenda: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/2013-gathering-nations-canber...
Event details and Agenda: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/pdf/2013/131031-SU-MR-Gathering%20of%...
Additional Agenda items: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/return-our-peoples-remains-co...
Large Flyer for printing: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/pdf/2013/2013-november-gathering-flye...
Event details: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/pdf/2013/MA-SU-media%20release-21Oct1...
Event details: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/calling-all-aboriginal-nation...
Event details: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/node/758
Event details: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/community-gatherings
Event details: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/community-gatherings?qt-gathe...
Event details: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/michael-anderson-returns-un-s...
* BACKGROUND TO THE ABORIGINAL SOVEREIGNTY MOVEMENT AND THE ABORIGINAL TENT EMBASSIES:
Last updated: 6 November 2013
* INDIGENOUS RADIO STATION 98.9FM BRISBANE: SMASHING THE MYTHS: "ABORIGINAL PEOPLE LIVED IN ISOLATED GROUPS AND WANDERED AIMLESSLY"
- Audio Interviews
Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane: Smashing The Myths: "Aboriginal People Lived in Isolated Groups and Wandered Aimlessly"
24 May 13: "Prior to European invasion in 1788, were Aboriginal people simply nomads who wandered around the wilderness purposelessly, aimlessly? This is what a lot of mainstream Australian society seems to think about the history of this continent pre-colonization."
* INDIGENOUS RADIO STATION 98.9FM BRISBANE: SMASHING THE MYTHS: "YOU'RE NOT ABORIGINAL, YOU'VE GOT FAIR SKIN"
- Audio Interviews
Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane: Smashing The Myths: "You’re not Aboriginal, You’ve Got Fair Skin"
23 Apr 13: "Several years on from, much of mainstream Australian society continues to question the authenticity of First Nations people with fair skin. "You don’t look Aboriginal. You’re just saying that so you can claim more money from Centrelink." For much of the 20th century, the colonial Australian government had a system of defining Aboriginal people, throwing them into different categories like full-blood, half-caste, quarter-caste and even 'octoroon'."
* INDIGENOUS RADIO STATION 98.9FM BRISBANE: SMASHING THE MYTHS: "ABORIGINAL PEOPLE SHOULD FORGET THE PAST AND MOVE ON"
- Audio Interviews
Indigenous radio station 98.9FM Brisbane: Smashing The Myths: "Aboriginal People Should Forget The Past and Move On"
12 Apr 13: "When you’re watching TV or reading the headlines and see Aboriginal people protesting in the streets on January 26, the day they term Invasion Day and Survival Day, or burning the Australian flag outside Parliament House, some can’t help but wonder why they can’t just forget the past and move on."
* NEWS.COM.AU: ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER WAR MEMORIAL TO BE UNVEILED AT TORRENS PARADE GROUND
news.com.au: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander War Memorial to be unveiled at Torrens Parade Ground
5 Nov 13: "FOR Frank Lampard, the opening of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander War Memorial will be the culmination of years of hard work and also an "incredibly powerful" moment to remember his brother. Mr Lampard was deputy chair of the committee that for seven years lobbied for the memorial at the Torrens Parade Ground. The $1 million memorial, featuring two bronze figures representing male and female indigenous veterans, will be officially unveiled on Sunday, November 10."
* WARRNAMBOOL STANDARD: CEREMONY HONOURS ABORIGINAL SERVICEMEN
Warrnambool Standard: Ceremony honours aboriginal servicemen
31 Oct 13: "SACRIFICES and bravery of indigenous soldiers who left Australia’s shores to fight for their country in distant wars will be honoured at tomorrow’s memorial service on Warrnambool’s Cannon Hill. "It marks the 99th anniversary of when our people left the shores of Australia to fight for this great country we live in," local elder Robert Lowe senior said. "Thousands of servicemen and women served their country in wars." The ceremony at the indigenous war memorial will involve several schools and other members of the district community."
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
- - -
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
- - -
You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR Contact" in the message header.
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)