Newsletter date: 29/30 September 2015
* Communiqué: 6th SNAICC National Conference Communiqué: Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care: http://www.snaicc.org.au/_uploads/rsfil/003600_bbdb.pdf
* Homepage of SNAICC 2015 National Conference - 15-17 September 2015, Perth: http://www.snaicc.org.au/conference/
* Homepage of Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care (SNAICC): http://www.snaicc.org.au/
* WGAR Background: Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation
WGAR News postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care Inc (SNAICC):
6th SNAICC National Conference Communiqué
"Over one thousand people from around Australia gathered in Perth for the 6th SNAICC National Conference.
As we gathered in Perth we carried our ancestors in our hearts and minds, we walked in their footsteps – carrying forward their love, their fight, their determination and their hope for the future.
We heard over one hundred presentations that provided strong evidence that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander models of services and care are working across the diverse range of situations and places where our people live.
Our communities and families have the capacity to care for our children.
We have the knowledge; we have the skills.
It is time to respect and trust this knowledge, and work with our people and services to provide quality of life for our children.
The cultural strengths of communities, our caregivers – both women and men, should be the basis upon which the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children are ensured.
The lack of respect for our culture and our knowledge is a major contributing factor to the over-representation of our children and young people in the child protection system. We are outraged by the discrimination still embedded in the system.
And we despair that we are not being heard. We despair that current funding models are not delivering what is needed on the ground.
We urgently call ... "
SNAICC 2015 National Conference - 15-17 September 2015, Perth
"On behalf of the Secretariat of National Aboriginal & Islander Child Care (SNAICC) and the conference advisory group welcome to the official website for the 6th SNAICC National Conference."
Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care (SNAICC)
"We are a national non government peak body in Australia representing the interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families."
WGAR Background: Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation
(last updated: 21 June 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
'WGAR News' postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire