Newsletter date: 23 June 2015
* Audio Interview: Perth Indymedia: Bella Bropho on the Police Invasion of Matagarup Refugee Camp, SoundCloud
* Photo Essay: Alex Bainbridge, Perth, Green Left: Police, council raid Matagarup again
* Bio: Alex Bainbridge - Green Left Weekly
* News Analysis: Brendan Foster, Sydney Morning Herald: Police remove Heirisson Island Aboriginal protesters in dawn raid
* Photo: Heirisson Island Matargarup First Nations Refugee Camp, facebook
* WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA (and NT?)
* WGAR Background to the Aboriginal Sovereignty Movement
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
- Audio Interview
Perth Indymedia: Bella Bropho on the Police Invasion of Matagarup Refugee Camp, SoundCloud
18 Jun 15: "Bella Bropho discusses the latest police invasion of the refugee camp at Matagarup. She is one of the participants in this camp and the interview was recorded at the site. This is a sacred Indigenous site that is serving as a refugee camp for people who are being affected by the closure of Indigenous communities. Once again the police ripped down and stole all of their tents and are also blocking access to the parking lot."
- Photo Essay
Green Left: Photo Essay: Police, council raid Matagarup again
19 Jun 15: "Perth City Council and WA Police raided the Nyoongar encampment at Matagarup (Heirisson Island) at 7am on June 18. Tents were seized, move-on notices issued and concrete barricades were erected at the car park entrance to try to deliver a terminal blow to the Matagarup Refugee Camp as the encampment is known. ... As on previous raids, there was no regard for the fact that Matagarup is a recognised and registered heritage site where cultural activities - including camping - are permitted. The welcome extended by the Matagarup community was trampled on by police and council. ... " Alex Bainbridge, Perth
"Please share this meme about the raid to support this campaign."
Alex Bainbridge - Green Left Weekly
"Alex Bainbridge has been a socialist activist since 1990 when he first joined Resistance and then the Democratic Socialist Party. He was a founding member of the Socialist Alliance in 2001. His wide involvement in activist campaigns includes roles as media spokesperson for the 2007 "Stop Bush" protest of the Sydney APEC summit and for the 2011 CHOGM protest in Perth."
- News Analysis
Sydney Morning Herald: Police remove Heirisson Island Aboriginal protesters in dawn raid
18 Jun 15: "... In a military-style operation, officers flanked by City of Perth rangers swept the camp site, taking down tents, dumping mattresses and belongings into bins in an attempt to move on protestors who had set up camp in response to the WA Government's plans to close remote communities in the state's north-west. ... Bella Bropho said she was disappointed to see such a beefed-up police presence. "I told Gary Stevenson (City of Perth CEO) this is only going to get worse, because karma always comes to you," she said. "There is always the next day. We will never get off this island. "They can keep coming in and take the tents, but we will stay here." ... " Brendan Foster
Heirisson Island Matargarup First Nations Refugee Camp, facebook
"Loma said it was like a horror movie with all the vehicles driving in with lights glaring,then lining up. They took everything, including food. The toilets were locked and water cut off."
- Witness to the 5th City of Perth led riot police raid of the Heirisson Island Matargarup First Nations Refugee Camp. 18th of June, 2015.
WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA (and NT?)
(last updated: 21 June 2015)
WGAR Background to the Aboriginal Sovereignty Movement
(last updated: 20 June 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.