Newsletter date: 8 June 2015
* Compilation: Respect and Listen: Vale Michele Harris OAM: http://www.respectandlisten.org/vale-michele-harris.html
* Funeral Notice: Yolngu Nations Assembly: Michele Harris OAM 5/12/39 - 1/6/15
* Obituary: Michael Brull, New Matilda: Vale Michele Harris: A Tireless Campaigner Against The NT Intervention
* Obituary: Lionel Biopage, Colombo Telegraph: A Tribute To Michele Harris OAM
* Tributes: Respect and Listen: Vale Michele Harris OAM: [scroll down page] http://www.respectandlisten.org/vale-michele-harris.html
* Homepage: 'concerned Australians' - Without Justice there can be no Reconciliation: http://www.concernedaustralians.com.au/
* Download: Books and Publications by Michele Harris and 'concerned Australians': http://www.concernedaustralians.com.au/publications.html
* Messages: 'concerned Australians': Treaty Messages: http://www.concernedaustralians.com.au/Treaty_Messages.html
Respect and Listen: 'concerned Australians': http://www.respectandlisten.org/nt-intervention/concerned-australians.html
Respect and Listen: Treaty: http://www.respectandlisten.org/treaty.html
Respect and Listen: NT Intervention: http://www.respectandlisten.org/nt-intervention.html
Respect and Listen: The Intervention: an Anthology: http://www.respectandlisten.org/nt-intervention/intervention-anthology.html
WGAR Background to Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia (Last updated: 12 April 2015)
WGAR Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention (Last updated: 27 May 2014)
WGAR Background to 'Stronger Futures' new NT Intervention laws (Last updated: 30 May 2014)
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
Respect and Listen: Vale Michele Harris OAM
- Funeral Notice
Yolngu Nations Assembly: Michele Harris OAM 5/12/39 - 1/6/15
Yolngu Nations Assembly, facebook: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1594552207485586&id=15...
Respect and Listen: http://www.respectandlisten.org/vale-michele-harris.html
"Yolngu Nations Assembly acknowledges Michele Harris' immeasurable advocacy support and encouragement from our founding assembly in 2011 to the day she passed away on Monday the 1st of June. Her funeral service will be held in Sydney at 11.30am on Tuesday the 9th of June, at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church Mosman.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church Mosman
23 Cardinal Street
Mosman NSW 2088"
Michael Brull, New Matilda: Vale Michele Harris: A Tireless Campaigner Against The NT Intervention
3 Jun 15: "Michael Brull pays tribute to a woman who took the fight up to successive governments on black rights. On Monday this week, Michele Harris passed away. Michele Harris was one of the leading figures of concerned Australians (cA). CA has a terrific website, full of useful information, reports, books and speeches on the Northern Territory Intervention and Stronger Futures legislation. Looking through the website, one can see the major role played by Michele in many of its projects. ... "
Lionel Biopage, Colombo Telegraph: A Tribute To Michele Harris OAM
4 Jun 15: "I met Michele in January 1991 for the first time, when I came to assume duties at the Patents Office in Canberra. At the time, The Torture Rehabilitation and Network Services ACT, which was renamed Companion House in Year 2000, was located at the Griffin Centre in Civic. A mutual friend, Marina Prasad, introduced me to Michele as a Sri Lankan in exile, who sought political asylum while working in Japan. Michele and I had a little chat about the work they do and I had an instant attachment to the cause. Since then, I had a very close association with TRANSACT until I left Canberra in 2004 and Michele had become a very close family friend of ours. ... "
Respect and Listen: Vale Michele Harris OAM:
[scroll down page] http://www.respectandlisten.org/vale-michele-harris.html
[Ed. Note: This listing of tributes is being up-dated regularly. Please click on the above link to read current and past tributes. The listing below is not complete due to a back-log.]
"7 June 2015:
Brian Butler, Co-Founder & Director @ Lateral Love Australia
Joan Hamilton, The Peace Justice and Social Issues group of the Sisters of St Joseph Victoria /Tasmania
6 June 2015:
Janet Hunt, ANU, Canberra
5 June 2015:
Ian Viner, AO QC
The Hon Alastair Nicholson AO RFD QC
Dr Helen Szoke, CEO Oxfam, previous AHRC & VEOHRC
Emily Mitchell, Legal and Policy Officer, Australian Lawyers Alliance
Dr Gabrielle Russell-Mundine, Lecturer, National Centre for Cultural Competence, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous Strategy and Services), The University of Sydney
Joan Kennedy, Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Michelle Purdy, Aboriginal VET Officer, TasTAFE
4 June 2015:
Marion Caris, Berlin, Germany
Stancea Vichie mss
Sharon Partridge, WFFR
John Baxter, WFFR & Rec Vic Council
Anthea Burns, Brimbank Council, Community Planning and Engagement Officer, Community Planning & Development
Janet Bachsinar, Maroondah Reconcilation
Auntie Ellie Gilbert, WGAR
John Ferguson, Australian Catholic Social Justice Council (ACSJC)
Bruce Duncan, YTU & SPC
Claude Mostowik Msc
Heather Weedon FMM
Megan Graham, UCA previous writer
3 June 2015:
Emily Chauvel, Reconciliation Victoria
Deb Chapman, acting Statewide Reconcilaiton Victoria Coordinator
Rosemary Rule, Co-Chair, Port Phillip Citizens for Reconciliation
John Burke, One Fire Rec Group Geelong
Diana Warrell, Nillumbik Reconciliation, Victoria
Barbara Oehring, Towards Reconciliation at Knox (TR@K)
2 June 2015:
Anita Heiss, Tara, Rosie Scott
Georgina Gartland, on behalf of 'concerned Australians' "
'concerned Australians' - Without Justice there can be no Reconciliation
Books and Publications by Michele Harris and 'concerned Australians'
'concerned Australians': Treaty Messages
Respect and Listen: 'concerned Australians'
Respect and Listen: Treaty
Respect and Listen: NT Intervention
Respect and Listen: The Intervention: an Anthology
WGAR Background to Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia
(Last updated: 12 April 2015)
WGAR Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention
(Last updated: 27 May 2014)
WGAR Background to 'Stronger Futures' new NT Intervention laws
(Last updated: 30 May 2014)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.