Newsletter date: 6 June 2015
* Compilation: Respect and Listen: The Intervention: an Anthology: http://www.respectandlisten.org/nt-intervention/intervention-anthology.html
* Media Release: "Australian Authors speak out on NT Intervention" of 1 June 2015
* Ordering the Book: The Intervention: an anthology is now available for pre-order from Booktopia
* facebook: Intervention Anthology
* Upcoming Events: Respect and Listen:
1 July 2015: National launch in Sydney: National Centre of Indigenous Excellence (NCIE)
9 July 2015: Ashfield Town Hall
4 August 2015: NT Darwin launch: Charles Darwin University
* Compilation: Respect and Listen: NT Intervention: http://www.respectandlisten.org/nt-intervention.html
* WGAR Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention (Last updated: 27 May 2014)
* WGAR Background to 'Stronger Futures' new NT Intervention laws (Last updated: 30 May 2014)
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
Respect and Listen: The Intervention: an Anthology
"In this historic anthology, award-winning writers Dr Anita Heiss and Rosie Scott have gathered together the work of twenty of Australia’s finest writers both Indigenous and non-Indigenous together with powerful statements from Northern Territory Elders to bring a new dimension and urgency to an issue that has remained largely outside the public radar. Anna Funder has described the book as ‘an indispensable contribution to the debate. ’It’s been a long time in the making."
- Media Release
Australian Authors speak out on NT Intervention
Respect and Listen: http://www.respectandlisten.org/uploads/downloads/NT_Intervention/Media_...
1 Jun 15: ""The Intervention to us was like Australia declaring war on us and in the process they demonised and dehumanised Aboriginal men, women and children." - Rosalie-Kunoth Monks - Elder and Northern Territory Australian of the Year"
"June 21 will mark eight years since the introduction of one of Australia’s most racist government policies, - the Northern Territory National Emergency Response package - otherwise known as the NT Intervention. ...
In 2012, the Intervention was renamed "Stronger Futures" and designed to impinge further on the human rights of those in remote communities for another decade.
Award-winning and internationally recognised Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australian authors and commentators have taken a stand the best way they can, by using the power of their writing to generate much needed discussion and debate - in homes, universities and in work places.
Edited by Rosie Scott and Anita Heiss, the Anthology includes statements by Elders, poetry, commentary, fiction and non-fiction ... "
- Ordering the Book
The Intervention: an anthology is now available for pre-order from Booktopia
Booktopia: The Intervention: an anthology
By: Rosie Scott (Editor), Anita Heiss (Editor)
Intervention Anthology on Facebook
- Upcoming Events
Respect and Listen: [scroll down page] http://www.respectandlisten.org/nt-intervention/intervention-anthology.html
1 July 2015: National launch in Sydney
National Centre of Indigenous Excellence (NCIE)
166-180 George St, Redfern NSW 2016
To be launched by Gillian Triggs, AHRC
Pat Anderson, eminent author of the report Little Children are Sacred,
Ali Cobber Eckermann, award winning poet from the NT,
Anita Heiss and
9 July 2015: Ashfield Town Hall
Thursday, July 9 - 6pm for 6.30pm
Ashfield Town Hall
260 Liverpool Road, #3
Ashfield, NSW 2131
In conversation with
Mick Gooda the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner, AHRC
Contributor Nicole Watson, who is currently employed as a senior lecturer in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Technology, Sydney.
Editor Rosie Scott
Cash sales only of the book on the night.
Organised by the Ashfield Library
4 August 2015: NT Darwin launch
Charles Darwin University,
in the new Australian Centre for Indigenous Knowledges and Education
at Casuarina Campus.
and more TBC
WGAR Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention
(Last updated: 27 May 2014)
WGAR Background to 'Stronger Futures' new NT Intervention laws
(Last updated: 30 May 2014)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.