Newsletter date: 24 January 2015
[Ed. note: Some sources have said the Sit-In is on Monday the 26th of January 2015 and some say Tuesday the 27th of January 2015. It could be either day.]
* Audio Interview: National Indigenous Radio's 'Weekly News-in-Review' "The Freedom Movement's Tauto Sansbury and Gracelyn Smallwood discuss a national protest in Canberra on January 26"
* Audio: Warren Barnsley, NIRS: Northern Territorian of the Year to attend Freedom Movement protest [Featuring Rosalie Kunoth-Monks]
* Audio: Gerry Georgatos, NIRS: Jenny Munro urges mob to attend Parliament House protest
* Audio Interview: CAAMA: Roxley Foley….Momentum Grows for Canberra
* Audio Interview: Radio Adelaide: Christine Abdulla (Ngarrindjeri) S.A. Delegate for the Original Peoples Freedom Movement
* Audio: Gerry Georgatos with Warren Barnsley, NIRS: Noongar delegation heads to Canberra freedom protest
* WGAR Background to the National Freedom Movement
* WGAR Background to 'The Freedom Summit'
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
- Audio Interview
National Indigenous Radio's 'Weekly News-in-Review' "The Freedom Movement's Tauto Sansbury and Gracelyn Smallwood discuss a national protest in Canberra on January 26"
23 Jan 15: "This week's episode is presented by Cassandra Tim.
* The Freedom Movement's Tauto Sansbury and Gracelyn Smallwood discuss a national protest in Canberra on January 26; ...
Producers: Cassandra Tim and Warren Barnsley"
NIRS: Northern Territorian of the Year to attend Freedom Movement protest
22 Jan 15: "The Northern Territory Australian of the Year, Rosalie Kunoth-Monks, says she'll be attending a highly-anticipated protest at Parliament House in Canberra on January 26. Ms Kunoth-Monks, Arrernte Alyawarra Anmatjere woman who resides in central Australia, is also due to attend a ceremony the previous day where the Australian of the Year award will be announced in Canberra." Warren Barnsley
NIRS: Jenny Munro urges mob to attend Parliament House protest
20 Jan 15: "Wiradjuri social justice stalwart Jenny Munro says a sit-in protest at Parliament House in Canberra next week will remain in place until Aboriginal rights are back on the national agenda. The National Freedom Movement is attempting to gain momentum for its January 26 protest, holding lead-in forums in Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane." Gerry Georgatos, Correspondent
- Audio Interview
CAAMA: Roxley Foley….Momentum Grows for Canberra
22 Jan 15: "Second Generation Aboriginal Rights Campaigner Roxley Foley has urged Sovereignty Leaders to stand up and find ways to protect their Communities and their Rights. With less than a week to go it remains evident the Sovereignty movement is showing no signs of slowing down. Numerous meetings have been held across the country to gather Grass Roots concerns, which will then be delivered to Government on National Sorry Day."
NIRS: Adelaide forum held ahead of Canberra 'sit-in' protest
16 Jan 15: "Elders and advocates have spoken at a forum in Adelaide as part of the lead-up to the Freedom Movement's Parliament House Sit-In in Canberra on January 26. ... Delegate Roxley Foley (pictured) says the campaign is an opportunity for national healing and national unity." Gerry Georgatos, Correspondent
- Audio Interview
Radio Adelaide: Christine Abdulla (Ngarrindjeri) S.A. Delegate for the Original Peoples Freedom Movement
22 Jan 15: " ... As a delegate for South Australia, Christine discusses her role in keeping communities informed and involved in the discussions surrounding issues that impact upon Aboriginal peoples lives throughout the state. ... Listen to Christine describe her early years surrounded by 18 brothers and sisters, and why we must walk together as one united country. Produced by Dwayne Coulthard."
NIRS: Noongar delegation heads to Canberra freedom protest
21 Jan 15: "A delegation of Western Australian First Nations rights campaigners has left Perth for Canberra as momentum for a protest at Parliament House next week builds. Members of the Noongar Tent Embassy will attend the national Freedom Movement's sit-in on Monday, with organisers hoping for numbers in the thousands." Gerry Georgatos with Warren Barnsley
WGAR Background to the National Freedom Movement
(last updated: 23 January 2015)
WGAR Background to 'The Freedom Summit'
(last updated: 26 December 2014)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA) and South Australia (SA);
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 3-4 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.