Newsletter date: 17 March 2015
* Facebook: Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia
* Upcoming Event: Flyer: 19 March 2015: Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities - call to action - Stop the Genocide!
* Upcoming Event: Thu 19 March 2015 from 11.30am: Rally from Aboriginal Tent Embassy to Parliament House, Canberra: Aboriginal communities in Australia announce a global call to action.
* Upcoming Event: 19 March 2015 at 12.30: Sydney say No Forced Closures of Remote Aboriginal Communities
* Upcoming Event: SOSBlakAustralia: Aboriginal Australian communities announce a global call to action
* Petition: Sarah Jay, Change.org: This petition will be tabled in the federal senate this week
* WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
Facebook: Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia
- Upcoming Event
Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities
call to action
Stop the Genocide!
March 19 2015
- Upcoming Event
Media Alert for 19 March 2015 event
Aboriginal communities in Australia announce a global call to action.
Rally from Aboriginal Tent Embassy to Parliament House, Thursday 19 March.
Assemble at Tent Embassy 11.30am for a 12.00pm march to Parliament.
12.30 - 2.00pm speakers.
Canberra media inquiries: Amy McQuire & Alice Haines
"Kimberley Aboriginal communities have declared a GLOBAL CALL TO ACTION to stop the forced closure of Aboriginal communities in Western Australia amidst the growing campaign by State and Federal Governments to withdraw their support and remove Aboriginal people from their traditional homelands. ...
We stand in solidarity with all other regions in Western Australia and South Australia who have the veil of threatened remote community closures hanging over their lives. We understand that the precedent for a National attack by Government toward Aboriginal people living on their homelands, has already been set in the Oombulgurri closure. We ask the national and international community to stand with us in this action, and the subsequent actions that will ensue as we mobilise effective campaigns to secure our cultural right and entitlement. ... "
- Upcoming Event
Facebook: Sydney say No Forced Closures of Remote Aboriginal Communities
19 March at 12:30 in UTC+11
Prime Ministers House Kirribilli
"If the taxpayer should NOT support an unsustainable #LifestyleChoice then why are we paying for Abbott to live in Kirribilli House while working in Canberra? Meanwhile excited Abbott supports the WA and SA Government attacks on humble aboriginal people holding their communities and traditions together. Today we send a big "NO" to the Abbott Barnett and Weatherall governments from the united peoples of Australia "Invasion was never a Lifestyle Choice ... "
- Upcoming Event
SOSBlakAustralia: Aboriginal Australian communities announce a global call to action
16 Mar 15: "On Thursday 19th March 2015, Australians across the Nation are being asked to celebrate Close the Gap Day - but for many of our countrymen the gap has been significantly widened placing increasing pressure and trauma on our people. Starting in the Kimberley at 10am, we will march not for this Government agenda, but instead to show our objection to the threatened proposed closures to Aboriginal communities."
Change.org: This petition will be tabled in the federal senate this week
15 Mar 15: "The Greens have agreed to table this petition in the federal senate this coming week. This means that our voices in protest and opposition to the closure of homeland communities will be heard in a public forum, and the petition will also be a matter of public record. So please give the petition one last BIG push!! Currently, we have over 26,000 signatures, but would be amazing if it could reach at least 30,000 in the next few days. Continue to share it amongst your friends and family, co-workers, and on your social networks. Let's really show Colin Barnett and Tony Abbott how many of us are against these closures." Sarah Jay
WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA
(last updated: 15 March 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA) and South Australia (SA);
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 3-4 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.