Newsletter date: 16 May 2013
* Murrawarri Republic: Queen Recognises Murrawarri Republic
* Jeremy Geia, NITV News: Murrawarri people take sovereignty campaign to UN
* NITV's Jeremy Geia, SBS Radionews: Indigenous 'republic' to go to UN
* Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Murrawarri Republic
* Background to the The Murrawarri Republic
* Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement
* Sovereign Union: Goomeroi People call for a mining freeze on sacred lands [Transcript from NITV News - Jeremy Geia report]
* Jeremy Geia, NITV News: Native Title claimants seek to ban mining
* Indymedia Australia: The Gomeroi of Northern NSW say they will fight mining in their country
* Goomeroi Sovereign Tent Embassy, Moree, NSW
* Background to the Aboriginal tent embassies
* The Wire: SFF doco explores revival of lost language
* MURRAWARRI REPUBLIC: QUEEN RECOGNISES MURRAWARRI REPUBLIC
- Media Release
Murrawarri Republic: Queen Recognises Murrawarri Republic
Sovereign Union: http://nationalunitygovernment.org/pdf/2013/MurrawarriRepublicMediaRelea...
10 May 13: "Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth the Second the Queen of England and the Head of the Commonwealth recognises the Murrawarri Nations continued Independence and Statehood.
The Murrawarri peoples declared their continued Independence and Statehood on the 30th of March 2013 through their Declaration of Independence and Statehood. In line with the Murrawarri Republic draft constitution a People’s Council was formed and will act as the Provisional Government of the Murrawarri Republic.
On the 3rd of April 2013 the Murrawarri Peoples Council wrote to Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth the Second advising her of the declaration of the Murrawarri Nations continued Independence and Statehood and requested Her Royal Highness produce documents that show how Sovereignty, Dominion and Ultimate (Radical) Title was obtained over the Murrawarri Nation Ancient Lands, Waters, Subsurface, Natural Resources and Airspace under International and British Common Law. ... "
* JEREMY GEIA, NITV NEWS: MURRAWARRI PEOPLE TAKE SOVEREIGNTY CAMPAIGN TO UN
SBS World News: Murrawarri people take sovereignty campaign to UN
Source: Jeremy Geia, NITV News
12 May 13: "Activists in northern New South Wales, who've declared an Aboriginal republic, say they will take their campaign to the United Nations. The Murrawarri Republic may be the world's newest country, but for locals it's been around for tens of thousands of years. The Republic's boundaries cross over northern New South Wales and Queensland - covering about 81,000 square kilometres. Key leaders including Fred Hooper say the push for independence follows many frustrating years of inaction and broken promises."
* NITV'S JEREMY GEIA, SBS RADIONEWS: INDIGENOUS 'REPUBLIC' TO GO TO UN
SBS Radionews Podcasts: Indigenous 'republic' to go to UN
By NITV's Jeremy Geia
10 May 13: "Activists in northern New South Wales who've declared an Aboriginal republic say they will take their campaign to the United Nations. The Murrawarri people recently asked the Queen to recognise that they had declared a state independent from Australia, with its own constitution and bill of rights. Now, they say they'll be asking the UN to formally recognise their republic. NITV's Jeremy Geia has more."
* WIKIPEDIA, THE FREE ENCYCLOPEDIA: MURRAWARRI REPUBLIC
- Encyclopedia entry
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Murrawarri Republic
"The Murrawarri Republic is a independence movement whose main goal is to secede from the Commonwealth of Australia and establish a state for the Murrawarri people. On 30 March 2013, the Murrawarri Republic released a declaration announcing its independence. The Peoples Council of the Murrawarri gave the Queen of England Elizabeth II, the Prime Minister of Australia Julia Gillard, as well as the Premiers of Queensland (Campbell Newman) and New South Wales (Barry O'Farrell) 21 days to respond to the declaration."
* BACKGROUND TO THE MURRAWARRI REPUBLIC:
Last updated: 4 May 2013
* BACKGROUND TO THE ABORIGINAL SOVEREIGNTY MOVEMENT:
Last updated: 11 May 2013
* SOVEREIGN UNION: GOOMEROI PEOPLE CALL FOR A MINING FREEZE ON SACRED LANDS
- Transcript from NITV News - Jeremy Geia report
Sovereign Union: Goomeroi People call for a mining freeze on sacred lands
13 May 13: "The Goomeroi People of New South Wales call for a freeze on all mining and development on their ancestral lands. More that 400 Native Title claimants met in Tamworth to discuss Goomeroi business. Representatives said that they are looking at options to stop ministerial decisions which approve mining in the region. Goomeroi is one of the largest black states in the country. NITV was given permission to film inside the meeting but it was outside, after the function ended, that the big news of plans to freeze development on Goomeroi country became public."
* JEREMY GEIA, NITV NEWS: NATIVE TITLE CLAIMANTS SEEK TO BAN MINING
SBS World News: Native Title claimants seek to ban mining
Source: Jeremy Geia, NITV News
13 May 13: "Anthony Munro, Goomeroi claimant, said that the Goomeroi people will not be silent regarding the issues anymore. Mining is coming to our country and we are going to fight them every step of the way, through the courts, through the protests and through the solidarity. The Goomeroi are concerned that big industries could damage their sacred sites and dreaming places through Mining, Cold Stream Gas extraction, excess of water use and clearing. It what might be the first time in Australia's history, an injunction may be used to stop ministerial powers ... that will approve development plans ... " Jeremy Geia NITV News
* INDYMEDIA AUSTRALIA: THE GOMEROI OF NORTHERN NSW SAY THEY WILL FIGHT MINING IN THEIR COUNTRY
Indymedia Australia: The Gomeroi of Northern NSW say they will fight mining in their country
14 May 13: "The Gomeroi people of Northern NSW are seeking legal advice on ways to stop all mining and development on their ancestral lands. ... More than 400 Native Title claimants met in Tamworth at the weekend with representatives saying they are looking at options to stop ministerial decisions which approve mining in the region. "The Gomeroi people will not be lying down," Gomeroi claimant Anthony Munroe told NITV. "Mining is coming to our country but we are going to fight them every step of the way through the courts, through the protests, and through the support of the Gomeroi people." ... " By Diet Simon
* GOOMEROI SOVEREIGN TENT EMBASSY, MOREE, NSW:
Last updated: 22 September 2012
* BACKGROUND TO THE ABORIGINAL TENT EMBASSIES:
Last updated: 11 May 2013
* THE WIRE: SFF DOCO EXPLORES REVIVAL OF LOST LANGUAGE
The Wire: SFF doco explores revival of lost language
Produced by Natalie Muller
14 May 13: "The traditional language of Kaurna country in South Australia's Adelaide Plains is thought to have disappeared about 100 years ago. But thanks to research by linguists, a revival is underway. Jack Buckskin started learning Kaurna in 2006, and is now the only Aboriginal person to teach it in Adelaide. Jack’s mission to keep the endangered language alive is the subject of a new documentary by indigenous filmmaker Dylan McDonald. "Buckskin" is McDonald's first documentary, and it premieres at the Sydney Film Festival on June 12. ...
Featured in story:
Jack Buckskin - Kaurna language teacher
Dylan McDonald - director of Buckskin"
- - -
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
- - -
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
- - -
You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact and includes occasional activities and events.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR Contact" in the message header.
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
WGAR Website: http://wgar.wordpress.com/