Occupy Melbourne's strategy of "going mobile" to get around the "Notice to comply" orders, continually issued against them by the Melbourne City Council and enforced by the police, was taken to a whole other level today 4th December. Watch the video below to see the Occupy Melbourne "tent monsters" emerge from their tents and literally chase the confused police and council officers out of the Flagstaff Gardens. This is a beautiful example of how creative non-violence can use humour to highlight and undermine the absurd use of state power. The hilarity of these actions does not change the fact that the State is trying to prevent Occupy Melbourne through constant harassment from creating a public space to discuss and organise for a fairer, peaceful and more sustainable world. On the 5th of December the Federal Court will hear a case testing the legality of the Melbourne City Council's actions against OM. May their spirit of resistance stay strong - get down there and support them!
Related: Occupy Melbourne outfoxes council and police -- OM Digest for news about the campaign -- OM Monsters on Youtube
Monday 5th update
Police are down in the park today (Monday) threatening to arrest people "wearing" tents and to remove the tents from them, despite being told the are naked underneath. This farce seems to have no end in sight!
Watch the livestream at:
Update from the OM Facebook Page
This morning Occupy Melbourne was informed that Melbourne City Council would be attending Flagstaff Gardens with the intent to have Victoria Police charge Occupiers under a long-forgotten bylaw.
This response is not only a sign that the Melbourne City Council and Robert Doyle are clutching at straws in their attacks against Occupy Melbourne but it also shows that they are becoming desperate in th...e face of Occupy Melbourne’s peaceful resistance to Council intimidation.
On Sunday afternoon Melbourne City Council attempted to confiscate tents and other equipment used by Occupy Melbourne in Flagstaff Gardens but were forced to retreat after the tents stood up and started running around them. In pursuing this latest recourse we have been informed that anyone wearing a tent will be arrested.
In addition to today’s action one Occupier has been specifically targeted for his dissent. Carl Scrase, an active member of Occupy Melbourne, recently announced that he would run against Robert Doyle in next year’s Mayoral elections. Over the weekend Mr. Scrase was contacted by a media outlet who alleged that Mr. Doyle had criticised Mr. Scrase for accepting arts funding during 2010 and then criticising Melbourne City Council.
“Mr Doyle claims that because I accepted an Arts award from the City of Melbourne, this precludes me of being critical of the actions of the Lord Mayor,” said Mr. Scrase.
Mr. Doyle’s criticism can only be summarised as a belief that those who receive grants and funding from Melbourne City Council should adopt a servile and non-questioning attitude towards the Council. This is further proof that Mr. Doyle considers himself to be more Lord and less Mayor.
“The City of Melbourne is an excellent institution – it is the current Lord Mayor that I have problems with. In Melbourne’s history, we have enjoyed many wonderful Lord Mayors, however Mr Doyle is not one of them,” he said.
Melbourne City Council has continued to escalate their actions against Occupy Melbourne with harassment of Occupiers being conducted every day for the last two weeks. Occupy Melbourne will continue to peacefully and nonviolently resist actions by Melbourne City Council and Victoria Police that we believe are unlawful and will not be taken in by the Council’s intimidation tactics.
Video Goes Viral!
The Youtube clip has started to go viral with over 25,000 hits so far. The mainstream press has started to notice - see Channel Nine coverage here
cartoon by Jai Hallam - "a certain percent" series.