Sydney Launch of the National Stop Deaths in Custody Coalition
Brothers, sisters, comrades and friends:
We are inviting you to come to the Sydney Launch of the National Stop Deaths in Custody Coalition, Saturday July 27 2013, at 3:30pm, at The Settlement, 17 Edward St Darlington. This is a part of the nationally coordinated response to stop all deaths in custody. This event is also the Sydney launch of the National Day of Action on September 28th, 2013 on the 30th Anniversary of the Aboriginal death in custody of John Pat by the Roebourne police in WA in 1983.
Also we would like you to get actively involved, so, attached are leaflets and posters that were designed by ISJA Sydney and ask you to distribute them far and wide. The difference between the two leaflets is in the information given. The second leaflet, without labels, will test your memory and show why we must never forget to continue the struggle together to fight for justice to stop all deaths in custody. Below is the National Stop Deaths in Custody Coalitions Statement on why you should come.
We are also seeking endorsements from Organizations and individuals. Please contact as below.
30 YEARS BUT STILL NO JUSTICE!!
On Sunday 10 February, 2013 an historic event occurred that linked social justice and stop deaths in custody organizations around Australia in a phone hook-up to allow for national actions to be put in place when a death in custody event occurs or when other important matters occur that requires a national response and coordinated action by the Coalition. The initiating or funding organizations are:
• Indigenous Social Justice Association – Melbourne, in Victoria;
• Indigenous Social Justice Association - Sydney, in NSW;
• Deaths in Custody Watch Committee – Perth, in WA
• Death in Custody Watch Group, Far North Queensland in Cairns.
• Groups in other States and Territories have expressed interest in joining the Coalition.
The theme of the National Day of Action to mark the 30th anniversary of the death of John Pat is “Thirty Years But Still No Justice-National Day of Action to Stop Aboriginal Deaths in Custody! Remember John Pat and the hundreds who have died in custody since! Support the demands made by John Pat’s mother, Mavis Pat.”
The rally will also raise the following demands:
• Stop Aboriginal deaths in custody and end the racist persecution of Aboriginal people;
• Build Communities not prisons - end privatization of custodial services;
• Hold the police and other custodial authorities to public and independent accountability;
• End the ongoing harassment of death custody families and government funding for national meetings of death in custody families to allow for a National solution
OUR FORUM WILL BE PROMOTING THE BUILDING OF THE COALITION AS A TOOL TO HAVE A NATIONAL RESPONSE TO EVERY DEATH IN CUSTODY.
THERE WILL BE SPEAKERS REPRESENTING FAMILIES OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED IN CUSTODY, NATIONAL COALITION MEMBERS AND VICTIMS OF POLICE BRUTALITY
All are welcome.
ORGANISED BY INDIGENOUS SOCIAL JUSTICE ASSOCIATION
RAY JACKSON 0450 651 063 OR RAUL BASSI 0403 037 376 OR ISJA01ATINTERNODE.ON.NET