Newsletter date: 7 August 2015; last updated 7 August 2015, 3:20pm AEST
* Audio Interview: Cassandra Tim, Adam Evans & Grace Pashley, NIRS Weekly News-in-Review: http://www.nirs.org.au/PROGRAMS/NIRS-Weekly-News-in-Review
A lead spokesperson for the Wangan and Jagalingou family groups Murrawah Johnson speaking about the unsuccessful Carmichael coal mine
* News Analysis: Thom Mitchell, New Matilda: Court Decision To Overturn Approval For Adani's Carmichael Coal Mine 'Very Significant'
* News Analysis: Thom Mitchell, New Matilda: Environment Groups Hint At Further Legal Action If Hunt Reinstates Adani Mine Approval
* News Analysis: Thom Mitchell, New Matilda: In Second Major Blow For Planned 'Mega Coal Mine', Commonwealth Bank And Adani Part Ways
* News Analysis: Thom Mitchell, New Matilda: This Adorable Finch Really Wants Greg Hunt To Reconsider Adani's Carmichael 'Mega Mine'
* Bio: Thom Mitchell - New Matilda: https://newmatilda.com/users/thom-mitchell
* Analysis / Opinion: Ben Eltham, New Matilda: Greg Hunt, Our First Minister For Pollution
* Bio: Ben Eltham - New Matilda: https://newmatilda.com/users/beneltham
* About Us - New Matilda: https://newmatilda.com/about-us
* Be a supporter: Help Us Fund New Matilda: https://newmatilda.com/be-a-supporter
* WGAR Background: Wangan & Jagalingou Traditional Owners reject Adani's coal mine in Queensland's Galilee Basin
WGAR News postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
- Audio Interview
NIRS Weekly News-in-Review
National Indigenous Radio's Weekly News-in-Review takes an in-depth look at the issues affecting First Nations communities around Australia.
7 Aug 15: "This week's episode is a replay presented by Cassandra Tim.
This week: A lead spokesperson for the Wangan and Jagalingou family groups Murrawah Johnson speaking about the unsuccessful Carmichael coal mine; ...
Credits: Producers: Adam Evans, Grace Pashley and Cassandra Tim"
- News Analysis
New Matilda: Court Decision To Overturn Approval For Adani's Carmichael Coal Mine 'Very Significant'
5 Aug 15: "An endangered species of skink and a rare snake have put pressure back on Greg Hunt to reconsider the controversial project, which would result in massive amounts of carbon being released. Thom Mitchell reports. The Federal Court has overturned Commonwealth approval of Australia’s largest ever coal mine which had been planned for Queensland’s Galilee Basin and would have caused increased shipping and carbon emissions to impact the Great Barrier Reef. Indian company Adani is seeking to develop the $16.5 billion Carmichael mine but has been beset by a series of setbacks over recent months ... " By Thom Mitchell, New Matilda's environment and industrial relations reporter
- News Analysis
New Matilda: Environment Groups Hint At Further Legal Action If Hunt Reinstates Adani Mine Approval
5 Aug 15: "A fresh decision on the approval of Australia's largest ever coal mine is expected within eight weeks, but the company developing the mine may face further challenges. Thom Mitchell reports. Battle lines have been redrawn over the future of Indian company Adani’s massive Carmichael coal mine this morning after the Federal Court knocked back an approval granted by Environment Minister Greg Hunt in July last year. ... an array of progressives, green groups and public interest lawyers argue the initial approval was materially flawed. ... " By Thom Mitchell
- News Analysis
New Matilda: In Second Major Blow For Planned 'Mega Coal Mine', Commonwealth Bank And Adani Part Ways
6 Aug 15: "It's been a devastating two days for the Indian mining company, with serious questions raised about whether it can go ahead with Australia's biggest ever coal mine. Thom Mitchell reports. The Commonwealth Bank has revealed its involvement with Indian company Adani’s planned Galilee Basin coal mine has ended in the wake of the project having its federal environmental approval rescinded by the courts. ... Pressure had been building on the Commonwealth Bank for the past year with thousands of people taking protest actions at hundreds of branches across the country. The bank’s withdrawal from the project follows announcements from 11 banks that they would not be involved in financing the planned mine. ... " By Thom Mitchell
- News Analysis
New Matilda: This Adorable Finch Really Wants Greg Hunt To Reconsider Adani's Carmichael 'Mega Mine'
6 Aug 15: "Environmentalists say new evidence about the mine's impact on the bird must be considered by the minister. Thom Mitchell reports. In the wake of the Federal Court rescinding Commonwealth approval for Australia’s largest ever coal mine yesterday conservation groups are calling for Environment Minister Greg Hunt to consider new information about the endangered Black Throated Finch. ... " By Thom Mitchell
Thom Mitchell - New Matilda
- Analysis / Opinion
New Matilda: Greg Hunt, Our First Minister For Pollution
6 Aug 15: "Since becoming the Minister for the Environment, Hunt's primary activity has been facilitating the increase of emissions. He's the worst in living memory, writes Ben Eltham. ... Environment Minister Greg Hunt made polluting the environment easier. The big news in the environment portfolio yesterday came from the Federal Court, which threw out the Environment Department’s approval of the giant Carmichael coal mine in central Queensland. The reason? Apparently the department had stuffed up its approval documentation. ... " By Ben Eltham, New Matilda's National Affairs Correspondent
Ben Eltham - New Matilda
About Us - New Matilda
"The New Matilda news digest is the best way to keep up to date with our coverage. We publish three times a week - it lands in your inbox at lunchtime on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and in the evening on Sundays. ... It's free!"
-Be a supporter
Help Us Fund New Matilda
" ... All Keen Level subscribers receive a FREE triple DVD Activist's Gift Pack. Plus you can choose an Aboriginal-owned business or not-for-profit to receive free New Matilda advertising worth $450. ... "
Details available here. https://newmatilda.com/2015/07/06/subscribe-new-matilda-and-donate-adver...
WGAR Background: Wangan & Jagalingou Traditional Owners reject Adani's coal mine in Queensland's Galilee Basin
(last updated: 6 August 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), [and Northern Territory (NT)?];
* Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
'WGAR News' postings on Indymedia Australia: https://indymedia.org.au/newswire