Newsletter date: 30 April 2015
* Upcoming Event Info: Full list of May 1 2015 Actions in a place near you: Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia, facebook
* Upcoming Event Posters: 2nd Official Call To Action 1st May 2015, facebook: By Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia
* Video: GreenLeftTV, YouTube: Police ride roughshod over Aboriginal protest against closure of communities
* News Analysis: Miranda Wood, Red Flag: 'This is a declaration of war' - campaign against closures continues
* Analysis / Opinion: Sandy Toussaint, The Conversation: Closing 'communities' undermines the humanity of Aboriginal lives
* Background: Green Left: International day of protest on May 1 against forced closure of Aboriginal communities
* WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
- Upcoming Event Info
Full list of May 1 2015 Actions in a place near you: Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia, facebook
28 Apr 15: "MAY 1st GLOBAL SOLIDARITY #SOSBLAKAUSTRALIA Stop Closure of Remote Aboriginal Communities Rallies (a-z) ...
Hi ALL: As things are progressing at a rapid rate and in little over a week we have mobilised such a powerful union of people, communities and groups - we have compiled a Cultural Code of Conduct to affirm and support the work being done. It is a foundation document for us all and one that brings the integrity and focus back into the heart of the effort. In unity and with respect. 10 points to a cultural code of conduct. ... "
The May 1st rallies have gone global.
There are rallies in:
* Aotearea (NZ): Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hamilton, Tauranga, Wellington
* Canada: Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver
* Germany: Berlin
* Hawaii: Honolulu
* Hong Kong China
* UK: London
* USA: Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Washington DC
See the following link for details:
- Upcoming Event Posters
2nd Official Call To Action 1st May 2015, facebook
By Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia
"posters and contacts for official rallys in your area - please check back as new posters will be added regularly."
GreenLeftTV, YouTube: Police ride roughshod over Aboriginal protest against closure of communities
24 Apr 15: "The Nyoongar Tent Embassy organised a protest in Perth against closure of WA Aboriginal communities on April 23. Police rode motorcycles and horses through the crowd.
The full story has been reported here: https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/58825
Support this campaign by attending one of the May 1 rallies against the community closures: https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/58824 ... "
- News Analysis
Red Flag: 'This is a declaration of war' - campaign against closures continues
28 Apr 15: " ... Aboriginal people and supporters once again rallied in Perth on 23 April to protest the closures. ... Addressing the rally, Sydney activist Uncle Albert Hartnett said: "This is a continuation of the genocidal practices of the invaders and what they brought when they colonised this country 227 years ago … To all the brothers and sisters in the north, to the Kimberley mob, to the people in the Pilbara, to the people in the goldfields and the wheat belt - this is a declaration of war."... " Miranda Wood
- Analysis / Opinion
The Conversation: Closing 'communities' undermines the humanity of Aboriginal lives
28 Apr 15: " ... The disjuncture between the two - regional homelands and government centres - is obvious, and much has already been written about the evident and inequitable social and economic problems that are likely to ensue if state premiers and federal government ministers continue with a misguided ideological and short-sighted economic approach to close "up to 150 communities …" in Western Australia." Sandy Toussaint, Associate Director Berndt Museum at University of Western Australia
Sandy Toussaint - The Conversation
Associate Director Berndt Museum at University of Western Australia
" ... Sandy has worked with Australian indigenous groups in the Kimberley for almost three decades, including projects focused on indigenous and non-indigenous social values as these relate to rivers and waters; cultural heritage, customary law and native title; ethics, health and medicine. ... "
Green Left: International day of protest on May 1 against forced closure of Aboriginal communities
23 Apr 15: "The campaign against the forced closure of Aboriginal communities continues with a second international day of action on May 1. The campaign is being coordinated by #SOSblakaustralia movement. Information below from #SOSblakaustralia. ... "
Ed. note: This listing is in alphabetical order of place-name. It is very clear and concise.
WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA
(last updated: 26 April 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA) and South Australia (SA);
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 4-5 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.