Newsletter date: 26 April 2015
* News Analysis: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: White cops, Black victims - Perth is to Western Australia, what Birmingham was to Alabama
* Facebook: The Stringer: "Official statement from Elder Bella Bropho, of the Matargarup First Nations Refugee Camp (Heirisson Island, Perth ... )"
* Photo Essay: Alex Bainbridge, Green Left: Perth rally resists closure of Aboriginal communities, police harassment
* Video: Network Ten: Forced closure rally
* News & Video: Sky News: Protesters clash with police at WA rally
* News & Video: Phil Hickey, Perth Now: Heirisson Island camp Indigenous leaders protest at State Parliament
* News: Brendan Foster, WA Today: Parliament House protest: ugly scenes as police make arrests
* Event Poster: Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia, facebook: "We would like to confirm that that 2nd National Call of Action will be held Friday 1st May 2015."
* Facebook: Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia: https://www.facebook.com/sosblakaustralia
* WGAR Background to the Aboriginal Sovereignty Movement
* WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
- News Analysis
The Stringer: White cops, Black victims - Perth is to Western Australia, what Birmingham was to Alabama
24 Apr 13: "One in 13 of Western Australia’s Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander adult males are in prison today. From a racialised lens this is the world’s highest jailing rate. But before you get jailed you must be arrested. ... Yesterday, a protest action in the heart of Perth, that would march on to State Parliament was corralled by coppers - on motorcycle, horseback and with militia-like presence. It was very aggressive, moreso than usual. Obviously there had been directives. Earlier in the morning, before the protest action, I was told by one of my Government insiders that there would be a crackdown on the protesters, and soon on Matargarup. The Government fears a cultural shift, fears the increasing empathy of Western Australians to the homeless, to Matargarup camp, and fears a backlash to the Government’s agenda to close down communities. ... " By Gerry Georgatos
Gerry Georgatos - The Stringer
"Gerry Georgatos is a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner, and a multi-award winning investigative journalist. His predominant work is in suicide prevention research and in unveiling racism and in articulating the ways forward. ... Some of his stories on homelessness in First Nations communities have led to many people housed and to restorative cultural projects. ... Gerry is currently completing a PhD on Australian Custodial Systems and Australian Deaths in Custody. ... His diverse lived experiences, his compassion for others, his various expertise make him a valued contributing journalist and writer for The Stringer. He writes for The Stringer without charge."
About Us - The Stringer
"The Stringer is an independent online news site, delivering free-to-access independent news to readers daily. We went live on February 20 and formally launched on February 25, 2013 at the Media at the Crossroads Conference at NSW Parliament’s Theatrette. The Stringer was founded by media academic and producer Jennifer Kaeshagen."
"The Stringer team:
* Founder, Principal Editor & Producer - Jennifer Kaeshagen
* Co-Editor & Journalist - Gerry Georgatos ... "
Jennifer Kaeshagen - The Stringer
"Jennifer Kaeshagen is an award winning documentary filmmaker. She has Unit Co-Ordinated, Lectured and Tutored in Media and Communications Studies at The University of Notre Dame, Fremantle and Murdoch University, and is currently completing her PhD - The phenomenology of the biopic. Jennifer is the Founder of The Stringer. Jennifer is The Stringer’s Principal Editor and Producer. Jennifer contributes irregularly articles to The Stringer however also coordinates various advocacy through The Stringer. Jennifer has been successful in housing homeless families and individuals and currently coordinates The First Nations Homelessness Project."
Jennifer Kaeshagen sets up The First Nations Homelessness Project
"To support or be supported by The First Nations Homelessness Project, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone/text 0449 655 282." Jennifer Kaeshagen, coordinator
The Stringer - Facebook
[scroll down page] https://www.facebook.com/TheStringerNews
22 Apr 15: ""We want to stay on the Island here until our purpose is done - our point is to make a stand to stop the closures of Communities, and making our People - the First People - homeless, and as long as it takes." - Official statement from Elder Bella Bropho, of the Matargarup First Nations Refugee Camp (Heirisson Island, Perth - Western Australia)."
- Photo Essay
Green Left: Photo Essay: Perth rally resists closure of Aboriginal communities, police harassment
23 Apr 15: " ... Perth's rally against the forced closure of Aboriginal communities on April 23 began peacefully like any other. True, there were more police there than was necessary, but not enough to indicate the scale of intimidation and recklessness that was to come. ... After a smoking ceremony, Welcome to Country and cultural dancing, speakers began to address the crowd in front of banners saying that "Sovereignty was never ceded" and calling for a stop to the forced closure of Aboriginal communities. ... " By Alex Bainbridge, Perth
Alex Bainbridge - Green Left Weekly
"Alex Bainbridge has been a socialist activist since 1990 when he first joined Resistance and then the Democratic Socialist Party. He was a founding member of the Socialist Alliance in 2001. His wide involvement in activist campaigns includes ... "
Network Ten: Forced closure rally
[scroll down page] https://www.facebook.com/TheStringerNews
"Channel Ten News coverage on Remote Communities rally today - police over the top but of course the blame will be shifted - in 2015 we live in induced racial tensions, why? Because the State Government is trying to displace people from their Homelands." The Stringer - Facebook
- News & Video
Sky News: Protesters clash with police at WA rally
23 Apr 15: "Protesters opposing plans to close some remote indigenous communities in Western Australia have clashed with police on the steps of parliament. At least one man was arrested while others were issued with move on notices during a rally of more than 100 people on Thursday. Several other protesters argued with police, including officers on horseback. ... " AAP
- News & Video
Perth Now: Heirisson Island camp Indigenous leaders protest at State Parliament
23 Apr 15: "PROTESTERS have descended on State Parliament over the ongoing Heirisson Island dispute, with one person believed to be arrested. ... protesters waving indigenous flag and banners arrived on the steps of Parliament House on Thursday afternoon, where they reportedly warned the City of Perth not to move them on from Heirisson Island, where they have set up camp over the past two months. ... " Phil Hickey
WA Today: Parliament House protest: ugly scenes as police make arrests
23 Apr 15: "A rally against the closure of remote indigenous communities turned ugly after police and protesters clashed outside Parliament House on Wednesday. A scuffle between police and protesters erupted after Aboriginal activist Merv Eades was arrested after he stepped in to stop friend Herbert Bropho being issued with a move-on notice. Mr Eades appeared to push a police officer and was quickly arrested. ... " Brendan Foster, Reporter
- Event Poster
Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia, facebook
24 Mar 15: "We would like to confirm that that 2nd National Call of Action will be held Friday 1st May 2015. Actions will begin at 10am in the Kimberley but there will be other times for other states behind this and we will promote the information specific to the locations when confirmed. Any communities wishing to organise an action on this day, please contact us so that we can support you and provide resources."
Stop the Forced Closure of Aboriginal Communities in Australia
WGAR Background to the Aboriginal Sovereignty Movement
(last updated: 24 April 2015)
WGAR Background: Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in WA and SA
(last updated: 23 April 2015)
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* The Freedom Summit's National Freedom Movement;
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* Plans to close Aboriginal homelands / remote communities in Western Australia (WA) and South Australia (SA);
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Removal of Aboriginal children and the continuing Stolen Generation;
* Aboriginal peoples and the impact of the Australian Federal Budget;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 5-6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.