Newsletter date: 22 November 2014
WGAR News Public Google Group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!forum/wgar-news
WGAR News - Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
* Audio: CAAMA: Tauto Sansbury ... the Freedom Summit is a call for Unity!
* Upcoming Event: Facebook: National 'Summit for Freedom' Alice Springs [27-28 Nov 14]
* Event Analysis: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: What the domestic media missed - The Freedom Summit
* Event Analysis: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: The Freedom Summit - "it is our obligation," Dr Woolombi Waters
* News: NIT: Summit for Freedom to be held at Alice Springs [27-28 Nov 14]
* Analysis / Opinion: Ray Jackson, Workers Bush Telegraph: Summit For Freedom
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, Green Left: Aboriginal leaders meet for freedom summit
* Audio: Lisa Burns interviews Tauto Sansbury, Radio Adelaide: First Nations peoples to gather for National Freedom Summit
* Background: WGAR News: Hundreds of leaders commit to attend Freedom Summit: Gerry Georgatos, National Indigenous Times (NIT)
CAAMA: Tauto Sansbury.... the Freedom Summit is a call for Unity !
21 Nov 14: "The organiser of a gathering which is being held in Alice Springs next week has stressed the importance of creating a unified voice in the effort to confront Government policies which are impacting negatively on his people. ... Mr Sansbury, a Narungga man from Point Pierce in South Australia, says the national summit will be an inclusive event for all Aboriginal and Islander people’s."
Facebook: National 'Summit for Freedom' Alice Springs
"27 November - 28 November
The Old Telegraph Station, birthplace of Charlie Perkins, Alice Springs
Friends, while this event is being hosted on our Facebook page, it is being presented by no one group or person. Our wish is for all communities who want to take part in this event, will see it as their event and their voice. Come join us! A national First Nations summit has been called to discuss the formation of a new national council of the real representatives of our lands, people and communities.
For more information contact: Tauto Sansbury: ... Nadine Schoen: ... email: ... "
- Event Analysis
The Stringer: What the domestic media missed - The Freedom Summit
20 Nov 14: "In seven days, the most diverse gathering of the First Peoples of the Australian continent in the one place will occur. The two day convergence will bring together hundreds of Traditional Owners, senior Elders and other leaders from within their people, to Mparntwe (Alice Springs), in the heart of the nation. Convoys of Traditional Owners, Elders and community members are driving from east and west, north and south of the continent to Alice Springs ready to "reclaim the Aboriginal rights struggle"." By Gerry Georgatos, a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner, a multi-award winning investigative journalist
- Event Analysis
The Stringer: The Freedom Summit - "it is our obligation," Dr Woolombi Waters
15 Nov 14: "There is only less than two weeks from potentially the largest most diverse gathering of the senior most Elders and leaders of First Peoples to gather in the one place - Mparntwe (Alice Springs). They will meet for two days at the Old Telegraph, an old mission site, where the social justice warrior, the late Charlie Perkins was born. The organisers and supporters of the Freedom Summit are working to the exclusive objective of electing an assembly of the legitimate leaders of their peoples who will reclaim the Aboriginal rights struggle." By Gerry Georgatos, a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner, a multi-award winning investigative journalist
Aboriginal Specific News - Australia - The Stringer
NIT: Summit for Freedom to be held at Alice Springs
"A call by three icons of the rights struggle, Tauto Sansbury, Geoff Clark and Michael Mansell for a gathering of the legitimate leaders of First Peoples nations has received overwhelming support from across the continent and will be titled the National Summit for Freedom. Mr Sansbury said they had been inundated with pledges from leaders across the country to attend the... "
NIT: John Pilger backs Freedom Summit
12 Nov 14: "John Pilger, the internationally acclaimed journalist and creator of the documentary, Utopia which revealed to the world the disgraceful living conditions being imposed by government upon First Nations People has joined in supporting the Summit for Freedom and appealing to all First Nations leaders to attend so they can "reclaim the agenda in the struggle for self-determination". Mr Pilger, who..."
National Indigenous Times Facebook
- Analysis / Opinion
Workers Bush Telegraph: Summit For Freedom
8 Nov 14: "this summit will surpass any thing that has come before, except for 1988. the noise out there is getting louder and louder. the rush to get to alice is huge and growing everyday. but it will come as no great shock that we desperately need financial help or in-kind help such as offers of buses or other transport to get us there. another non-great surprise is that no government, or opposition for that matter, will offer us not one cent towards an event that is meant to empower our true leaders and our mobs as a whole. ... " ray jackson, president, indigenous social justice association
- Analysis / Opinion
Green Left: Aboriginal leaders meet for freedom summit
8 Nov 14: "Hundreds of Aboriginal elders and leaders will gather in Alice Springs for the Freedom Summit at the end of this month. One of the summit’s organisers and chair of the Narrunga people, Tauto Sansbury, said: "The summit will be the most diverse and largest gathering in the one place on this continent, of this continent’s First People. We need to reclaim the Aboriginal rights struggle. ... "We have hundreds coming, and they are the legitimate leaders of their people." Brisbane-based Murri man Professor Sam Watson said it is time to reclaim the streets." Gerry Georgatos, Alice Springs
Radio Adelaide: First Nations peoples to gather for National Freedom Summit
4 Nov 14: "First Nations peoples from all over Australia will come together for a National Freedom Summit in Alice Springs, from September (sic.) 27th-28th. Elder and Chairperson for the Narungga Nations, Tauto Sansbury, spoke with Small Change’s Lisa Burns. Produced by Lisa Burns"
WGAR News: Hundreds of leaders commit to attend Freedom Summit: Gerry Georgatos, National Indigenous Times (NIT)
12 Nov 14: "Contents:
* News & Upcoming Event: Gerry Georgatos, NIT: Hundreds of leaders commit to attend Freedom Summit
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: John Pilger backs Freedom Summit - "We come as one but must stand as thousands"
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: "We will sleep on the earth, but we are coming" - The Freedom Summit
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Freedom Summit to reignite Black Power
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Freedom summit to galvanise First People
* Analysis / Opinion: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Legitimate representatives of First People to meet at National Summit of Traditional Owners
* Background to the Aboriginal sovereignty movement
* Background to Treaties with Aboriginal Sovereign Nations of Australia"
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 2-3 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.