Newsletter date: 20 April 2014
* Aboriginal Provisional Government: APG to meet in Adelaide [6 May 2014: Kensington, Adelaide, SA]
* Sovereign Union: Anderson: Unite for the common cause to defeat this 'Deceit by Fraud'
* Angus McAllen, Green Left: Brisbane Aboriginal embassy vows to continue the struggle [Featuring Boe Spearim]
* NIRS: 'Nation-to-nation' agreements needed: Monica Morgan
* Sovereign Union: AMANDLA Global Assemblies of Afrikan People's Power
* Aboriginal Sovereignty interviews, articles and events
* Greens MLC Robin Chapple: Stolen Wages
* SBS World News Radio: South Sea Islanders target funding numbers game [Featuring Emelda Davis]
* ABORIGINAL PROVISIONAL GOVERNMENT: APG TO MEET IN ADELAIDE [6 MAY 2014: KENSINGTON, ADELAIDE, SA]
- Upcoming Event
Event: 6 May 2014: Kensington, Adelaide, SA
Aboriginal Provisional Government: APG to meet in Adelaide
Venue: Bethany Conference Centre
"If we want a treaty, or recognition of our right to
self-determination, or constitutional recognition, we need
to kick-start a campaign to achieve our goals. The first
step is to get a national meeting. Adelaide is a start.
We need to discuss what it is we seek, and how we are
going to get it. If it is a treaty, what needs to be in
the treaty? Could we get the same from being the seventh
State of Australia? Is domestic sovereignty a sell-out?
What steps do we need to take to gain independence and
the right to secession from the Australian state? Would
constitutional change set the principles we need, or is
it just a distraction?"
"All Aboriginal people are welcome. We hope to see you there"
Secretary of the Aboriginal Provisional Government (APG)
Event details: http://www.apg.org.au/
* SOVEREIGN UNION: ANDERSON: UNITE FOR THE COMMON CAUSE TO DEFEAT THIS 'DECEIT BY FRAUD'
- Media Release
Sovereign Union: Anderson: Unite for the common cause to defeat this 'Deceit by Fraud'
8 Apr 14: "The question of our Sovereignty is raging across the country ... expect those same people who gave us Native Title to come back out of the wood work to do their dirty deeds again. The government knows they now have to deal with our sovereignty and they will throw heaps of money around to employ our people to direct us away from the real issue." Ghillar Michael Anderson, Convenor and co-spokesperson of the Sovereign Union of First Nations and Peoples in Australia
"Aboriginal people remained 'unconquered and free, entitled to be regarded as 'self-governing communities'. Their rights 'as distinct people' could not be considered to have been 'tacitly surrendered'. As they were 'by no means devoid of legal capacity' and had 'laws and usages of their own', 'treaties should be made with them'. The colonists were 'uninvited intruders', the Aborigines 'the native sovereigns of the soil' " Justice Willis
* ANGUS MCALLEN, GREEN LEFT: BRISBANE ABORIGINAL EMBASSY VOWS TO CONTINUE THE STRUGGLE [FEATURING BOE SPEARIM]
Green Left: Brisbane Aboriginal embassy vows to continue the struggle
29 Mar 14: "The Brisbane Aboriginal Sovereign Embassy (BASE) celebrated its two-year anniversary on March 22. During the past two years, BASE has experienced community support and state repression in their struggle to put Indigenous sovereignty on the agenda in Brisbane and has served as a beacon for Indigenous freedom fighters across the country. Boe Spearim spoke to Green Left Weekly about the history of BASE, its projects, influences and future." By Angus McAllen
* NIRS: 'NATION-TO-NATION' AGREEMENTS NEEDED: MONICA MORGAN
NIRS: 'Nation-to-nation' agreements needed: Monica Morgan
25 Mar 14: "Yorta Yorta woman and long-time First Nations rights campaigner Monica Morgan has encouraged tribal nations to establish Treaties and agreements with each other."
* SOVEREIGN UNION: AMANDLA GLOBAL ASSEMBLIES OF AFRIKAN PEOPLE'S POWER
Sovereign Union: AMANDLA Global Assemblies of Afrikan People's Power (AMANDLA-GAAPP)
"On behalf of the "Maatkilombosafoatse" Spearhead Deputations of the Communities of Resistance involved in doing the groundwork for building our AMANDLA Global Assemblies of Afrikan People's Power (AMANDLA-GAAPP), we salute the exemplary heroic efforts of your Sovereign Union of the First Nations and Peoples of the land currently misnamed Australia! Your bold audacity is a dynamic spur to the resurgent national liberation efforts we are making to actualise Pan-Afrikan Reparations for Global Justice, with particular regard to which your Sovereign Union endeavours have the greatest resonance for us."
"Amandla is a Xhosa and Zulu word meaning "power". After Apartheid ended in South Africa it is used to express grievances against government policies"
* ABORIGINAL SOVEREIGNTY INTERVIEWS, ARTICLES AND EVENTS
Last updated: 24 March 2014
* GREENS MLC ROBIN CHAPPLE: STOLEN WAGES
- Background and Video
Greens MLC Robin Chapple: Stolen Wages
"The WA Stolen Wages Taskforce was established on May 2007 to identify the scope and extent of the stolen wages issue and suggest policy and administrative options. ... The Taskforce examined the practices of government control over the wages, savings, entitlements and other monies of Aboriginal people that applied across WA between 1905 and 1972. It also heard about the consequences of these systems of control for Aboriginal families. Until 1972, laws in WA allowed employers to hold 75% of the wages of Aboriginal people in a complex network of trust accounts that were administered by government departments."
* SBS WORLD NEWS RADIO: SOUTH SEA ISLANDERS TARGET FUNDING NUMBERS GAME [FEATURING EMELDA DAVIS]
- Audio Interview
SBS World News Radio: South Sea Islanders target funding numbers game
28 Mar 14: "Australian South Sea Islanders are meeting in Queensland to decide on how they should be recognised in the national Census and then access government funding. ... Queensland's early economic development was largely built on the back of South Sea Island labour. But their descendants say they have since been economically and socially-disadvantaged. Last year their first national body was set up since tens-of-thousands of islander were brought to Australia as indentured labourers 150 years ago. ... Emelda Davis, president of the Interim National Body for the Australian South Sea Islanders, spoke with Queensland correspondent Stefan Armbruster about the challenges up for discussion."
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)