Newsletter date: 22 January 2014
* Respect and Listen compilation: Australian Premiere of Utopia: Redfern Sydney Screening [Fri 17 January 2014]
* Respect and Listen, Vimeo: Utopia screening in Redfern - Rosalie Kunoth-Monks
* Respect and Listen, Vimeo: Utopia screening in Redfern - John Pilger
* JohnPilger.com : Record 4,000 audience attend open-air premiere of Utopia in Australia [In The Block in Redfern]
* The Guardian: Q&A with Amelia Kunoth-Monks: on the devastation brought upon First Nations by government policies
* Lake Diary Photos: John Pilger At Utopia Australian Premiere
* Troy Henderson, Radical Blues: John Pilger’s Utopia [The Block in Redfern for the Sydney premiere]
* Nick Galvin, Sydney Morning Herald: Outside pressure key to better life for Aborigines, says Pilger
* THING2THING: John Pilger’s 'Utopia' [January 17th 2014 at The Block in Redfern]
* Workers Bush Telegraph: John Pilger on 'Utopia' [Inaugural public showing at the block in redfern]
* Whispering Jack: Redfern: John Pilger's 'Utopia' [The Block in Redfern]
* Background to 'Utopia', John Pilger's documentary film about Aboriginal people in Australia
* RESPECT AND LISTEN COMPILATION: AUSTRALIAN PREMIERE OF UTOPIA: REDFERN SYDNEY SCREENING [FRI 17 JANUARY 2014]
Respect and Listen: Utopia screenings: Australian Premier: Redfern Sydney Screening
Change.org petition for Treaty ... "
- Past Event
Updated Event: Fri 17 January 2014: Redfern, Sydney, NSW
John Pilger's documentary film, 'Utopia'
"A premiere in the Sydney indigenous community at Redfern Community Centre"
Introduced by film-maker John Pilger
"With special guests from the film:
* Rosalie Kunoth-Monks OAM (Utopia community),
* Amy McQuire (editor of Tracker magazine)
* Robert and Selina Eggington (Dumbartung)"
"Performances from Sean Choolburra and Glen Skuthorpe"
"MC Bronwyn Penrith (Human Rights advocate)"
"Utopia, John Pilger’s new film set for release (in the United Kingdom)
in November, examines the worsening oppression of Aboriginal
people in Australia." Paddy Gibson, an associate producer of Utopia
"John Pilger, the renowned investigative journalist and award winning
film maker, has recently completed a new film, Utopia, which deals
with the subjugation of the Aboriginal First Australians." Niall Mulholland
Event details: http://utopiajohnpilger.co.uk/screenings/details/3126/9262
Event details: http://utopiajohnpilger.co.uk/
Event details: http://johnpilger.com/
Event details: http://www.respectandlisten.org/miscellaneous/docos/utopia.html#Utopia-S...
Event details: http://johnpilger.com/articles/a-new-john-pilger-film-utopia-is-now-show...
Event details: http://thestringer.com.au/john-pilger-utopia-launches-in-australia-in-ja...
All screenings of 'Utopia': http://utopiajohnpilger.co.uk/showings
'Utopia' film reviews: http://utopiajohnpilger.co.uk/reviews & http://johnpilger.com/articles/utopia-reviews & http://www.respectandlisten.org/miscellaneous/docos/utopia.html#Utopia-R...
Respect and Listen Background to 'Utopia' film: http://www.respectandlisten.org/miscellaneous/docos/utopia.html
WGAR Background to 'Utopia' film: http://indymedia.org.au/2014/01/15/background-to-utopia-john-pilgers-doc...
* RESPECT AND LISTEN, VIMEO: UTOPIA SCREENING IN REDFERN - ROSALIE KUNOTH-MONKS
Respect and Listen, Vimeo: Utopia screening in Redfern - Rosalie Kunoth-Monks
19 Jan 14: "Rosalie Kunoth-Monks (Utopia Elder) speaks at the Australian premiere of John Pilger's new documentary "UTOPIA" at the Block in Redfern on Friday, 17 Jan 2014.
Drawing on John Pilger's long association with the first people of Australia, Utopia is both an epic portrayal of the oldest continuous human culture and an investigation into a suppressed colonial past and rapacious present. One of the world's best kept secrets is revealed against a background of the greatest boom in mineral wealth. Has the 'lucky country' inherited South African Apartheid? Utopia tells a universal story of power and resistance in the media age driven by old imperatives and presented as liberalism.
For more information about Utopia and other upcoming screenings see http://utopiajohnpilger.co.uk/ or http://www.respectandlisten.org/miscellaneous/docos/utopia.html "
* RESPECT AND LISTEN, VIMEO: UTOPIA SCREENING IN REDFERN - JOHN PILGER
Respect and Listen, Vimeo: Utopia screening in Redfern - John Pilger
19 Jan 14: "John Pilger introduces his new documentary "UTOPIA" at the Australian premiere at the Block in Redfern on Friday, 17 Jan 2014. ... "
- Related Video
NITV News: Pilger says 'Utopia' long overdue
By Ben Henderson; Source NITV News
20 Jan 14: "Hundreds have attended the first screening of John Pilger's controversial documentary 'Utopia' at 'the block' in Redfern. ... The film documents the state of black Australia today, raising issues such as failed health policies, deaths in custody and the intervention. Mr Pilger was Inspired by the struggle and achievemnets of Aboriginal people in Australia and said the film was long overdue. "In 2007 I was reminded that another [movie] was needed, and that was a response to one of the most savage attacks on Indigenous Australia, known as the intervention," he said." By Ben Henderson
* JOHNPILGER.COM : RECORD 4,000 AUDIENCE ATTEND OPEN-AIR PREMIERE OF UTOPIA IN AUSTRALIA [IN THE BLOCK IN REDFERN]
JohnPilger.com : Record 4,000 audience attend open-air premiere of Utopia in Australia
18 Jan 14: "Utopia had its Australian premiere in the urban heart of Indigenous Australia, in The Block in Redfern, Sydney, on 17 January 2014. The crowd filled the equivalent of two football pitches. Indigenous and non-indigenous Australians came from all over the country to hear call for a renewed struggle for justice and freedom for Australia's first people. Utopia is a vast region in northern Australia and home to the oldest human presence on earth. "This film is a journey into that secret country," says Pilger in Utopia. "It will describe not only the uniqueness of the first Australians, but their trail of tears and betrayal and resistance - from one utopia to another"."
* THE GUARDIAN: Q&A WITH AMELIA KUNOTH-MONKS: ON THE DEVASTATION BROUGHT UPON FIRST NATIONS BY GOVERNMENT POLICIES
The Guardian: Q&A with Amelia Kunoth-Monks: on the devastation brought upon First Nations by government policies
17 Jan 14: " ... My name is Amelia. I come from a place called Utopia. It's about 250kms north-east of Alice Springs. It's a remote community where our culture has never died, and I am so privileged to call it home. ... I'm down in Sydney for the launch of the film. It's about the devastation of what government is inflicting on First Nations. It shows what has happened to our people since we were invaded 225 year ago. It shows the contrast of two cultures barely working together, or understanding each other. It shows the heartache of what the elders are going through, ... The film had a massive effect on me. ... "
* LAKE DIARY PHOTOS: JOHN PILGER AT UTOPIA AUSTRALIAN PREMIERE
Lake Diary: John Pilger At UTOPIA Australian Premiere
18 Jan 14: "Utopia, a new, epic film on Australia by John Pilger, had its Australian premiere at the Block in Redfern, Sydney on yesterday -Friday, 17 January. It was a heart felt movie premiere without the usual glamor and screaming associated with red carpet appearances. Many family came with a picnic blanket and set themselves up comfortably on the grass."
* TROY HENDERSON, RADICAL BLUES: JOHN PILGER'S UTOPIA [THE BLOCK IN REDFERN FOR THE SYDNEY PREMIERE]
Radical Blues: John Pilger’s Utopia
20 Jan 14: ""This film is about heroes, it is not about victims", said Pilger, on Friday night. "It is about struggle and resistance." He acknowledged that it probably wouldn’t tell the audience at the Block much they didn’t know already, but claimed that: "It will tell the majority of Australians many things they don’t know." He said non-Indigenous Australians would remain "bystanders in their own country" until they "sit down with the owners of the country and negotiate a treaty." ... " troycharles
* NICK GALVIN, SYDNEY MORNING HERALD: OUTSIDE PRESSURE KEY TO BETTER LIFE FOR ABORIGINES, SAYS PILGER
- Analysis / Opinion
Sydney Morning Herald: Outside pressure key to better life for Aborigines, says Pilger
20 Jan 14: "Veteran filmmaker John Pilger believes the lot for indigenous people will improve only after pressure from outside Australia. "My own sense is that the so-called problem of indigenous Australia, which is really a problem for non-indigenous Australia, will only be resolved when there is enough pressure from outside the country," he says. This claim and others come from Utopia, a documentary made by Pilger, who is known for his campaigning and provocative work." Nick Galvin, a journalist with The Sydney Morning Herald
* THING2THING: JOHN PILGER'S 'UTOPIA' [JANUARY 17TH 2014 AT THE BLOCK IN REDFERN]
THING2THING: Wold Première of John Pilger’s 'Utopia'
19 Jan 14: "Thousands of people from around Australia gathered on the evening of January 17th 2014 at The Block in Redfern, an Aboriginal quarter close to downtown Sydney, for the world premiere of John Pliger’s new film ‘UTOPIA’. The event was graced with the presence of the author and speakers that included Aboriginal Elders and activists. It attracted a broad cross-section of concerned citizens."
* WORKERS BUSH TELEGRAPH: JOHN PILGER ON 'UTOPIA' [INAUGURAL PUBLIC SHOWING AT THE BLOCK IN REDFERN]
Workers Bush Telegraph: John Pilger on 'Utopia'
19 Jan 14: " ... the film had its inaugural public showing at the block in redfern on friday night where a free public screening was successfully held. a crowd up to an estimated 3 000 crowded into the block, the 'aboriginal heart of redfern' as john described it. ... "
* WHISPERING JACK: REDFERN: JOHN PILGER'S 'UTOPIA' [THE BLOCK IN REDFERN]
Whispering Jack: Redfern: John Pilger's 'Utopia'
18 Jan 14: "Last night, I was fortunate enough to be able to make it along to the Australian premier screening of John Pilger’s new documentary, Utopia, at The Block in Redfern ... It was an emotional experience-some parts are very difficult to watch-with deep sadness, shame and guilt (as a white Australian), anger and even rage being stirred up, but there was also an almost tangible sense of hope that flooded the open-air event." Josh, an amateur historian/theologian/activist
* BACKGROUND TO 'UTOPIA', JOHN PILGER'S DOCUMENTARY FILM ABOUT ABORIGINAL PEOPLE IN AUSTRALIA
Last updated: 15 January 2014
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 7 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)