Newsletter date: 1 December 2013
* Amy McQuire, Tracker: NSW Parliament votes for inquiry into Bowraville murders
* Background to the Bowraville murders by Amy McQuire, Editor of Tracker
* Mid North Coast Greens: Parliamentary inquiry into the Bowraville murders
* Rachel Evans, Green Left: Bowraville campaign wins inquiry into murders
* Michaela Whitbourn, Canberra Times: New South Wales: Bowraville murders: inquiry to give families chance to be heard
* Matt Deans, Coffs Coast Advocate: Parliamentary Inquiry called into Bowraville murders
* Liz Foschia, ABC News: Inquiry to look into murder of three children from Bowraville in NSW
* Cairns Post: NSW to hold Bowraville murders inquiry
* NITV News: NSW to hold inquiry over murder of three Aboriginal children
* AMY MCQUIRE, TRACKER: NSW PARLIAMENT VOTES FOR INQUIRY INTO BOWRAVILLE MURDERS
newsTracker: NSW Parliament votes for inquiry into Bowraville murders
26 Nov 13: "NATIONAL: A NSW Parliamentary committee will hear from the relatives of the Bowraville murder victims as early as next year after the upper house voted unanimously in favour of an inquiry. It’s a development the families say gives them hope. It follows more than two decades of protest by the families of the victims for justice for their three children – Colleen Walker, 16, Evelyn Greenup 4, and Clinton Speedy-Duroux, 16. From 1990-1991, the three children all disappeared from the same stretch of road on Bowraville mission." Amy McQuire, a Darumbal and South Sea Islander woman who hails from Rockhampton in Queensland; Editor of Tracker
* BACKGROUND TO THE BOWRAVILLE MURDERS BY AMY MCQUIRE, EDITOR OF TRACKER
agendaTracker: Stories by Amy McQuire
"White justice crippling a community ...
Compounding a community’s ongoing grief ...
The ghosts of Bowraville ...
NSW AG knocks back Royal Commission into Bowraville murders ...
Bowraville’s heartbreak ... "
* MID NORTH COAST GREENS: PARLIAMENTARY INQUIRY INTO THE BOWRAVILLE MURDERS
Mid North Coast Greens: Parliamentary inquiry into the Bowraville murders
22 Nov 13: "Yesterday in the NSW Upper House David moved a motion for an inquiry by the Law and Justice Committee into the Bowraville murders. ...
David argued that the Parliament should undertake such an inquiry because:
we have an obligation as a Parliament to hear their voices, to hear from the community and to hear what it means to be living in a small regional community that has suffered such an intense loss and, for whatever reason, has not seen justice delivered. ... "
* RACHEL EVANS, GREEN LEFT: BOWRAVILLE CAMPAIGN WINS INQUIRY INTO MURDERS
- Analysis / Opinion
Green Left: Bowraville campaign wins inquiry into murders
24 Nov 13: "Macquarie Street, home to NSW Supreme Court and Parliament, reverberated with chants for justice as 150 Aboriginal people and supporters marched to demand justice for the Bowraville three on November 21. In 1991, a triple murder of three Aboriginal youths took place within five months in Bowraville on the New South Wales mid north coast. ... The state government has now given its in-principle support for a parliamentary inquiry into the murders." By GLW author Rachel Evans, Sydney
* MICHAELA WHITBOURN, CANBERRA TIMES: NEW SOUTH WALES: BOWRAVILLE MURDERS: INQUIRY TO GIVE FAMILIES CHANCE TO BE HEARD
- Analysis / Opinion
Canberra Times: New South Wales: Bowraville murders: inquiry to give families chance to be heard
26 Nov 13: "The state government has given the green light to a parliamentary inquiry into the murder of three Aboriginal children in Bowraville in the 1990s, in a breakthrough for the children's grieving families. The Legislative Council voted unanimously on Tuesday in support of the inquiry into the murder of Colleen Walker-Craig, 16, Evelyn Greenup, 4, and Clinton Speedy-Duroux, 16, who went missing separately from the same road in the northern NSW town over a period of five months from September 1990." Michaela Whitbourn
* MATT DEANS, COFFS COAST ADVOCATE: PARLIAMENTARY INQUIRY CALLED INTO BOWRAVILLE MURDERS
Coffs Coast Advocate: Parliamentary Inquiry called into Bowraville murders
26 Nov 13: "THE NSW Upper House today voted unanimously in support of a parliamentary inquiry into the murder of three Aboriginal children at the Bowraville mission during the 1990s. Today's outcome in the Legislative Council serves as a milestone success for the grieving families of Colleen Walker-Craig, 16, Evelyn Greenup, 4, and Clinton Speedy-Duroux. Supporters of the families have protested for justice marching on Parliament House. "It's a small step in the right direction," Colleen Walker Craig's mother Muriel Walker said. ... " Matt Deans
* LIZ FOSCHIA, ABC NEWS: INQUIRY TO LOOK INTO MURDER OF THREE CHILDREN FROM BOWRAVILLE IN NSW
ABC News: Inquiry to look into murder of three children from Bowraville in NSW
26 Nov 13: "The New South Wales Upper House has agreed to conduct an inquiry into what impact the murder of three children had on an Aboriginal community in northern NSW. Colleen Walker-Craig and Clinton Speedy-Duroux, both aged 16 and four-year-old Evelyn Greenup went missing in the northern New South Wales town of Bowraville between 1990 and 1991. The bodies of Clinton and Evelyn were found in bushland near the Bowraville Aboriginal Mission. Colleen Walker-Craig has never been found but her clothes were discovered, weighted down with a rock in the Nambucca river." By ABC’s state political reporter for New South Wales, Liz Foschia and staff
* CAIRNS POST: NSW TO HOLD BOWRAVILLE MURDERS INQUIRY
Cairns Post: NSW to hold Bowraville murders inquiry
26 Nov 13: "AN inquiry will be held into the murders of three young Aboriginal people who disappeared from northern NSW more than 20 years ago. The NSW upper house voted unanimously on Tuesday to hold the inquiry into the deaths of Colleen Walker, 16, Clinton Speedy, 16, and Evelyn Greenup, 4. ... NSW Greens MP David Shoebridge, who put forward the motion calling for the inquiry, said it should go some way to acknowledging the pain and trauma the community of Bowraville and the families of the three young people have endured for the past 23 years." AAP
* NITV NEWS: NSW TO HOLD INQUIRY OVER MURDER OF THREE ABORIGINAL CHILDREN
NITV News: NSW to hold inquiry over murder of three Aboriginal children
By Malarndirri McCarthy; Source NITV News
26 Nov 13: "Today, the Greens motion for a parliamentary inquiry was finally passed in the NSW Upper House, giving the green light for a public inquiry to begin. The motion was passed unanimously. "I said at the outset last week when we were debating this issue in Parliament in front of the family and of course the community that had come with the family in Bowraville, we show our support to them as grieving victims," NSW Minister for Police and Emergency Services, Michael Gallagher told the house." By Malarndirri McCarthy
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)