WGAR News: Interview - John Pilger exposes Australia's shocking secret in Utopia: Australian Times
Newsletter date: 24 November 2013
* Paddy Gibson, Socialist Worker: Utopia: The brutal theft of a continent goes on in Australia
* Australian Times: Interview - John Pilger exposes Australia's shocking secret in Utopia
* Niall Mulholland, from The Socialist: An interview with the maker of Utopia, John Pilger
* The Stringer: John Pilger - 'Utopia' - launches in Australia in January
* JohnPilger.com : "Utopia will be launched in Australia in January"
* JohnPilger.com : Utopia reviews
* Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention
* Angus McAllen, Green Left: How to fight racism in Australia
* Brooke Boney, NITV News: Attorney-General under fire over Racial Discrimination Act
* Kristina Kukolja, SBS Radionews: Racial Discrimination Act plans 'should be transparent'
* Jonathan Swan, Canberra Times: Indigenous, ethnic groups unite against law changes
* Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Destroying 18C will give rise to "race hate"
* WGAR News: Tony Abbott wants to repeal Racial Discrimination laws: Pedestrian TV (17 Nov 13)
* PADDY GIBSON, SOCIALIST WORKER: UTOPIA: THE BRUTAL THEFT OF A CONTINENT GOES ON IN AUSTRALIA
- Analysis / Opinion
Socialist Worker: Utopia: The brutal theft of a continent goes on in Australia
Socialist Worker: http://socialistworker.co.uk/art/36814/Utopia%3A+The+brutal+theft+of+a+c...
The Stringer: http://thestringer.com.au/the-brutal-theft-of-a-continent-goes-on-in-aus...
12 Nov 13: "Paddy Gibson says the recently elected Tory Australian government will only tighten the oppression of Aboriginal people. Utopia, John Pilger’s new film set for release in November, examines the worsening oppression of Aboriginal people in Australia. Anti-Aboriginal racism is a cornerstone of the Australian political system. It was created to justify the theft of an entire continent, and the attempted genocide of its people, to make way for settler capitalism. Its most vicious expression today is the "Intervention" in the Northern Territory (NT) which began in 2007 under Tory prime minister John Howard." Paddy Gibson, an associate producer of Utopia
* AUSTRALIAN TIMES: INTERVIEW - JOHN PILGER EXPOSES AUSTRALIA'S SHOCKING SECRET IN UTOPIA
Australian Times: Interview - John Pilger exposes Australia's shocking secret in Utopia
By Alex Ivett
15 Nov 13: "Two years in the making, John Pilger’s controversial new film Utopia reveals a shocking national secret behind the postcard image of the "lucky country". As it premiers in the UK, the award winning documentary filmmaker talks to Australian Times about the devastating inequalities suffered by the Aboriginal community." By Alex Ivett, editor and writer at Australian Times
Australian Times: Alex Ivett
" ... Whether temporary or permanent, professional or traveller, Alex hopes Australian Times can provide a unique voice for the perspectives of the Australian community in the UK."
- Related Audio Interview
National Indigenous Radio Services 'Weekly News In Review'
22 Nov 13: "Journalist, author and film maker John Pilger in his first Australian interview on his latest film ‘Utopia’, which he describes as his most important work."
[This interview by Michelle Tuahine with John Pilger, follows after interviews with Arabunna Elder Kevin Buzzacott and community leader Adam Goodes.]
[The NIRS WNIR expires after about a week, so if you want to listen to these interviews you will need to download them soon.]
* NIALL MULHOLLAND, FROM THE SOCIALIST: AN INTERVIEW WITH THE MAKER OF UTOPIA, JOHN PILGER
Socialist Party: Utopia - a powerful film about the subjugation of Aboriginal First Australians
An interview with the maker of Utopia, John Pilger
19 Nov 13: "Niall Mulholland, from The Socialist (weekly newspaper of the Socialist Party, England & Wales)
John Pilger, the renowned investigative journalist and award winning film maker, has recently completed a new film, Utopia, which deals with the subjugation of the Aboriginal First Australians. Niall Mulholland interviews John about the film’s themes, followed with a review of Utopia."
* THE STRINGER: JOHN PILGER - 'UTOPIA' - LAUNCHES IN AUSTRALIA IN JANUARY
- Video, article
The Stringer: John Pilger - 'Utopia' - launches in Australia in January
18 Nov 13: "An epic new film on indigenous Australia - two years in the making - will be launched in Sydney with screenings leading up to 'Australia Day', 26 January, at the Museum of Contemporary Arts in Sydney on 21, 23 and 26 January and at Redfern Community Centre on 17 January, and in Alice Springs on 25 January. Details http://www.johnpilger.com/
John Pilger, wrote in The Guardian, November 6, that "in the lucky country of Australia, apartheid is alive and kicking." By The Stringer
* JOHNPILGER.COM : "UTOPIA WILL BE LAUNCHED IN AUSTRALIA IN JANUARY"
"Utopia will be launched in Australia in January at the Museum of Contemporary Arts (MCA) in Sydney, with screenings from 21-23 January and on Australia Day, 26 January. ...
On 17 January, there will be a premiere in the Sydney indigenous community at Redfern Community Centre. ...
On 25 January, Utopia will be screened in Alice Springs at the Aaraluen Arts Centre. ... "
* JOHNPILGER.COM : UTOPIA REVIEWS
- Links to reviews
JohnPilger.com : Utopia reviews
18 Nov 13: "A collection of reviews of 'Utopia', John Pilger's latest film released in UK cinemas in November 2013...
CineVue - 5 stars ...
The Guardian - 4 stars ...
Total Film - 4 stars ...
The Observer - 4 stars ...
The Times - 4 stars ...
Metro - 4 stars ...
The Independent - 3 stars ...
Financial Times - 3 stars ...
Irish Times - 3 stars ...
Evening Standard - 3 stars ... "
* BACKGROUND TO THE NORTHERN TERRITORY (NT) INTERVENTION
Last updated: 24 November 2013
* ANGUS MCALLEN, GREEN LEFT: HOW TO FIGHT RACISM IN AUSTRALIA
- Analysis / Opinion
Green Left: How to fight racism in Australia
16 Nov 13: "It is not news to progressive people in Australia that this country is profoundly racist. Extensive anti-asylum seeker policies and racial vilification as government policy, the extension of the Northern Territory intervention and continued discrimination in the workplace and the wider community all means people of colour face significant challenges in modern Australia. There needs to be serious discussion about how to understand racism and how to fight it. ... This analysis must be followed by a political strategy that can create a clear path to struggle against racism, colonialism, oppression and exploitation." By Angus McAllen
* BROOKE BONEY, NITV NEWS: ATTORNEY-GENERAL UNDER FIRE OVER RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT
NITV News: Attorney-General under fire over Racial Discrimination Act
The Attorney-General of Australia, George Brandis, has been criticised for his proposed changes to the Racial Discrimination Act.
By Brooke Boney; Source NITV News
18 Nov 13: "The Racial Discrimination Act is the part of the law protecting different racial and religious groups from vilification and discrimination. ... The Attorney-General wants Section 18c amended. This part of the Act makes it unlawful to publish material that offends or insults an individual or group because of race, nationality or ethnicity. But Peter Wertheim from the Executive Council of Australian Jewry says an amendment will change more than just how Australian law is interpreted. Mr Neumann agrees that the consequences could spark violence in Australian communities."
* KRISTINA KUKOLJA, SBS RADIONEWS: RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT PLANS 'SHOULD BE TRANSPARENT'
SBS Radionews: Racial Discrimination Act plans 'should be transparent'
By Kristina Kukolja
20 Nov 13: "The Human Rights Commission says there should be more transparency over plans to repeal sections of the Racial Discrimination Act. ... Responding to a question in Senate Estimates, he refused to confirm that public consultations would be held, or submissions called for, before the draft legislation is brought to parliament. President of the Human Rights Commission, Professor Gillian Triggs, told Kristina Kukolja the Attorney General is within his rights, but being more transparent about his course of action would improve the process." By Kristina Kukolja
* JONATHAN SWAN, CANBERRA TIMES: INDIGENOUS, ETHNIC GROUPS UNITE AGAINST LAW CHANGES
Canberra Times: Indigenous, ethnic groups unite against law changes
21 Nov 13: "Tony Abbott is facing a fight against Australia's indigenous, Jewish, Arab, Chinese, Greek, Armenian, Lebanese and Muslim populations, who have united in urging the government not to proceed with announced plans to abolish or weaken race hate laws. As his first legislative act, Attorney-General George Brandis wants to introduce a bill to change sections of the Racial Discrimination Act that protect ethnic groups against hate speech. He especially dislikes provisions that make it unlawful to offend or insult people on the basis of their race." Jonathan Swan, National political reporter, a Fairfax Media reporter based in the Canberra bureau, Parliament House
* GERRY GEORGATOS, THE STRINGER: DESTROYING 18C WILL GIVE RISE TO "RACE HATE"
- Analysis / Opinion
The Stringer: Destroying 18C will give rise to "race hate"
22 Nov 13: "The amendments sought to the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 by the Australian Government will give rise to the advent of public race hate, foment racial tensions and solidify rampant racism according to the majority of non-Anglocentric cultures in Australia. Prime Minister Abbott’s Government is facing the likelihood of a standoff with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities over the proposed amendments but the Government is also facing a combined standoff with the Jewish, Arab, Armenian, Chinese, Greek, Lebanese and other Australian cultural groups." Gerry Georgatos, a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner, a multi-award winning investigative journalist
* WGAR NEWS: TONY ABBOTT WANTS TO REPEAL RACIAL DISCRIMINATION LAWS: PEDESTRIAN TV (17 NOV 13)
WGAR News: Tony Abbott wants to repeal Racial Discrimination laws: Pedestrian TV (17 Nov 13)
* Pedestrian TV: Tony Abbott wants to repeal Racial Discrimination laws
* The Wire: Andrew Bolt, racial discrimination and free speech [Featuring Dr Mark McMillan - Wiradjuri man]
* Suresh Rajan, The Stringer: Brandis, Bolt and a whole lot of other B's!
* Barry Everingham, Independent Australia: Abbott Government acts swiftly to legalise racism
* Jessica Wright, The Sydney Morning Herald: George Brandis to repeal 'Bolt laws' on racial discrimination ... "
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Suicide and self-harm in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities;
* Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' gives priority to grassroots Aboriginal voices and grassroots voices in solidarity with Aboriginal peoples' rights.
The role of 'WGAR News' is to facilitate the voices of others, and as such, 'WGAR News' rarely writes its own articles.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)