WGAR News: Sixth Anniversary of the Intervention - Striking the Wrong Note: 'concerned Australians'
Newsletter date: 20 June 2013
* Michele Harris, 'concerned Australians': Sixth Anniversary of the Intervention - 21 June 2013 - Striking the Wrong Note
* Paddy Gibson, Solidarity Online: Six years of shame: Aboriginal assimilation and the NT Intervention
* STICS: Young NT leader living on income management to address Bankstown protest
* Bankstown, Sydney protest marking 6 years of the NT Intervention - Sat 22 June 2013
* Fiona Stanley, ABC TV: Q&A: Toxic Politics & Vaccinations
* Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention
* Background to 'Stronger Futures' new NT Intervention laws
* Northern Territory (NT) Forced Aboriginal Adoption Media Coverage
* Vince Chadwick, The Age: Nation risks a new stolen generation, leaders warn
* CAAMA: Removing Aboriginal children from their families and culture
* Kate Wild, ABC: Cultural wall sees Indigenous men miss welfare pay
* MICHELE HARRIS, 'CONCERNED AUSTRALIANS': SIXTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE INTERVENTION - 21 JUNE 2013 - STRIKING THE WRONG NOTE
- Analysis / Opinion
'concerned Australians': Sixth Anniversary of the Intervention - 21 June 2013 - Striking the Wrong Note
"Aboriginal advocate Olga Havnen, in her Lowitja O’Donoghue oration, has asked a critical question. She asks what has been the psychological impact of the Intervention on Aboriginal people of the Northern Territory. It is surprising that so little attention has been given to this critical, yet in some ways tenuous, link before now. Even before the Intervention began in June 2007, government had long planned a new approach to the 'management' of Aboriginal people in the Northern Territory. It was no longer part of government thinking that self-determination and Aboriginal control over land could be allowed to continue." By Michele Harris, 'concerned Australians'
WGAR News: Speech of prominent Aboriginal Territorian Olga Havnen: Healing the Fault Lines (4 Jun 13)
* PADDY GIBSON, SOLIDARITY ONLINE: SIX YEARS OF SHAME: ABORIGINAL ASSIMILATION AND THE NT INTERVENTION
- Analysis / Opinion
Solidarity Online: Six years of shame: Aboriginal assimilation and the NT Intervention
June 2013: "Six years after Howard sent in the troops to Aboriginal communities to begin the Northern Territory Intervention, Paddy Gibson surveys the impact of assimilationist policies ...
The impact: The Intervention has had a devastating impact on Aboriginal communities. At the core of this has been the destruction of employment opportunities and municipal and other community services with the closure of the Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP). ...
National agenda: Besides the devastation in the Northern Territory, the Intervention has provided the framework for spreading the politics of assimilation and punishment across Australia. ...
Empty symbolism: At the ideological level the government is trying to cover their deprivation of Aboriginal people and their ongoing racism with symbolic gestures." By Paddy Gibson
* STICS: YOUNG NT LEADER LIVING ON INCOME MANAGEMENT TO ADDRESS BANKSTOWN PROTEST
- Media Release
Stop the Intervention Collective Sydney: Young NT leader living on income management to address Bankstown protest
Sydney Indymedia: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/06/19/young-nt-leader-living-on-income-mana...
18 Jun 13: "Kylie Sambo, a young Aboriginal leader from the Northern Territory living on income management, will address a protest in Bankstown this Saturday June 22, marking six years since the announcement of the NT Intervention. ...
Kylie Sambo is a nineteen year old spokesperson from the Warumungu people in Tennant Creek. She has been on income management for almost three years:
"Being put on income management was very upsetting. I know how to manage my money - I don't need a card to control what I can spend things on". ...
"So many of our people are going into prison now. When they try to make their life different coming out they have a criminal record which makes it hard to get a job, hard to get a license. Now they'll be more on BasicsCard, it will be really difficult to go out and achieve something in life."
"Income management is racist against us. They gave it to Aboriginal people first, put us as a guinea pig to test it before they spread it out to others. It's hurtful to know that someone is out there discriminating against us. At the end of the day, we might all have different colours, but our blood is the same - it's all red. We should all be one". ... "
* BANKSTOWN, SYDNEY PROTEST MARKING 6 YEARS OF THE NT INTERVENTION - SAT 22 JUNE 2013
- Upcoming Event
Event: Sat 22 June 2013: Bankstown, Sydney, NSW
Protest marking 6 years of the NT Intervention
* Repeal "Stronger Futures / Stolen Futures" Legislation!
* Stop Income Management - not in NT - not in Bankstown - not anywhere!
* Reinvest in community controlled services and jobs!
"In Sydney, a rally marking the six year anniversary
of the NT Intervention will be held in Bankstown in June."
"June 21 will mark six years since John Howard announced
the NT Intervention and sent the military into Aboriginal
communities. This was one of the most shameful days in
the history of Australia's brutal and racist treatment of
Aboriginal people and has set the struggle for Aboriginal
rights back many decades."
- Kylie Sambo, NT youth leader living on income management
- Maree O'Halloran, Welfare Rights Center
- Gary Moore, CEO of Homelessness NSW
- Robin Croon, Public Service Association
- Wafa Ibrahim, Child, youth and family support officer, Arab Council Australia
Event details: http://www.respectandlisten.org/
Event details: http://stoptheintervention.org/
Event details: http://indymedia.org.au/marking-6-years-of-the-nt-intervention-0
Event summary and Media Release: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/06/19/young-nt-leader-living-on-income-mana...
Event summary and Article: [scroll down page to end] http://www.solidarity.net.au/55/income-management-expansion-in-effort-to...
WGAR Background to the Northern Territory (NT) Intervention: http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/22/background-to-the-northern-territory-...
WGAR Background to 'Stronger Futures' new NT Intervention laws: http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/22/background-to-stronger-futures-new-nt...
* FIONA STANLEY, ABC TV: Q&A: TOXIC POLITICS & VACCINATIONS
ABC TV: Q&A: Toxic Politics & Vaccinations
17 Jun 13: "Tony Jones: Did the intervention break that rule?
Fiona Stanley: The intervention did break that rule in terms of taking away power from people and I think that's a really important issue that you need to empower people and it can be done. There are enough now competent Aboriginal professionals in health and other services that we can utilise. They are dying to be employed and it would make a big difference. And the other thing is acknowledging the impact of the forced removal and how in three generations we now have data to show how powerfully negative that was. People have to understand that and so healing has to happen and that's going to come through culture."
* BACKGROUND TO THE NORTHERN TERRITORY (NT) INTERVENTION:
Last updated: 13 June 2013
* BACKGROUND TO 'STRONGER FUTURES' NEW NT INTERVENTION LAWS:
Last updated: 13 June 2013
* NORTHERN TERRITORY (NT) FORCED ABORIGINAL ADOPTION MEDIA COVERAGE
Keeping Them Home Campaign
'concerned Australians': http://www.concernedaustralians.com.au/
Respect and Listen: http://www.respectandlisten.org/
STICS (Stop the Intervention Collective Sydney): [scroll down page] http://stoptheintervention.org/
Respect and Listen: Keeping Them Home: Media Coverage
[scroll down page] http://www.respectandlisten.org/
WGAR News: We have to stop the creation of another Stolen Generation: Paddy Gibson, The Guardian UK (13 Jun 13)
WGAR News: "call for action to reduce high number of Aboriginal Children in out-of-home care" (9 Jun 13)
WGAR News: Do forced adoptions mean forced assimilation?: Stop the Intervention Collective Sydney (5 Jun 13)
WGAR News: Keeping Them Home - Stop the forced removal of Aboriginal children from their families (Sorry Day - 26 May 13)
WGAR News: Keeping them Home - What have we learnt from Bringing them Home?: ACM Sydney (23 May 13)
WGAR News: Indigenous adoption push prompts Stolen Generation fears: ABC Radio Australia Video (18 May 13)
* VINCE CHADWICK, THE AGE: NATION RISKS A NEW STOLEN GENERATION, LEADERS WARN
- Analysis / Opinion
The Age: Nation risks a new stolen generation, leaders warn
15 Jun 13: "Indigenous leaders say Australia risks creating another stolen generation if it does not reduce the soaring number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care. In 1997, when the Bringing Them Home report on the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families was tabled in Federal Parliament, 2785 indigenous children were in out-of-home care. By June 2012, that figure had risen to 13,299. Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency chief executive Muriel Bamblett said early intervention measures to help families were insufficient, ... " Vince Chadwick
- Related Past Event
Event: Fri 14 June 2013: Melbourne, Vic
Stop the Creation of Another Stolen Generation!
Stepping up for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children’s Rights!
* Hosted by SNAICC, the national peak body for
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children
"It will be a dynamic conversation with an amazing group of
speakers, including special international guest, the
Vice Chairperson of the United Nations Committee
on the Rights of the Child, Ms Marta Mauras-Perez."
Event details: http://www.snaicc.org.au/news-events/fx-view-article.cfm?loadref=32&id=1056
- Related News
National Indigenous Times: Save our children
17 Jun 13: "KARI warns of another lost generation and SNAICC to launch a campaign to reduce "diabolical" foster care figures. A groundswell of anger and frustration has broken out among Indigenous child care organisations over revelations more than 13,000 Indigenous children across Australia have been removed from their families and placed in foster care. Chairperson of the Secretariat... "
- Related Analysis / Opinion
National Indigenous Times: SNAICC and supporters launch campaign to cut foster care rate
"The high number of Indigenous children in care was "diabolical" and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people "would not stand for this any longer", Chairperson of the Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care's (SNAICC), Sharron Williams has declared. Ms Williams told delegates at SNAICC's... "
* CAAMA: REMOVING ABORIGINAL CHILDREN FROM THEIR FAMILIES AND CULTURE
Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association:
17 Jun 13: "* A former member of the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child says Australia has to do more to understand the cultural sensitivity associated with removing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families and culture.
* Meanwhile a veteran Stolen Generations advocate has called for better education of non Aboriginal workers in the child welfare system, claiming many have little knowledge or understanding of the flow on effects of the forced removals within many families"
* KATE WILD, ABC: CULTURAL WALL SEES INDIGENOUS MEN MISS WELFARE PAY
Yahoo!7: Cultural wall sees Indigenous men miss welfare pay
13 Jun 13: "A culture barrier is leading young Indigenous Australians in remote Northern Territory communities to miss out on welfare payments. Experts are calling on the Federal Government to identify and manage the cultural barriers, concerned domestic abuse arises from money disputes in outback communities. The number of young Aboriginal men out of work in the remote NT has been hovering around 60 per cent for the last 20 years. Local economies are tiny in these remote towns, and cannot provide jobs for everyone who wants one." By Kate Wild, ABC
- - -
About WGAR News:
Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.
'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:
* the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
* the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
* Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
* Aboriginal land rights and mining;
* Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
* other Aboriginal rights issues; and
* upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.
'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.
The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.
Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
To unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words "unsubscribe WGAR News" in the message header.
Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
- - -
WGAR events postings:
WGAR background info web-pages:
- - -
You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact and includes occasional activities and events.
To subscribe, email email@example.com and include the words "subscribe WGAR Contact" in the message header.
- - -
WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)